Keel Paint

Post All Keel Topics Here
Wai Whare

Keel Paint

Post by Wai Whare »

I Just just spent a pleasent afternoon scraping the paint of my keel, at least the part that hadnt fallen off. My question now is how do I prep the keel and what rust killer and paint should I use.

Tony
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

dennyzen
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dennyzen »

I agree with the above. On my major blister repair, I attacked the swing keep without removing it. I used a chisel and hammer to knock off the rust scales, then put a wire circular brush on an angle grinder to smooth it off. Don't skip the metal clean prep step--it is essential. And follow the instructions to put the POR-15 timely, it will rust up a little even if you wait to the next day. I got my POR15 at an auto supply place, but I had to call around, not just your regular chain had it. What is interesting, is that I bought the grey color and decided I wanted black as the second coat. It has really lasted the past four years. I wish I could have gotten it on all of it. I just hope my keel ins hold!

Funny thing is, I put an epoxy barrier coat on the hull and decided to put it on the keel too, without any fairing or shaping. I did wet sand one side, but not very well and I ran out of time to do the other side. I put the epoxy barrier coat on both sides anyway. The unsanded side came off as one big sheet of epoxy with the bottom paint on one side. The POR is still on it and there is very little rust on it. The unsanded side stayed on for a couple of years and still has it. What an experiment.

(The barrier coat stayed just fine on the hull, since I took my sanding seriously, after filling a gazillion dremelled blister pock marks.)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
1979 Chrysler 22--flatwater sailing on Lake Jacomo