Our New Toy

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
FranS

Our New Toy

Post by FranS »

As reported, we are not splashing the C-22 this year and are actively trying to find a buyer. In the interim we found a new toy:

Image.

17 feet, wooden, trailer included (great now we have three trailers!) we pick her up on Saturday. Another Ebay find. Hopefully she looks good in person as well as the pics. She will really fit our needs better. We have not been using the C-22 up to her potential. We are more day sailors then cruisers. The new boat is truly a trailer sailer, we can tote her around and not stress our tow vehicle, a Dodge Caravan. The cock pit looks nice and roomy. She's been out of the water for several years, always a concern with a wooden boat, but we will splash her on Sunday and see if she is water tight.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Awesome Fran!

Congrats on the new toy! I'd love to see some photos when you get her rigged and wet!!!

Scott
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

I hope the boat has a forum half as helpful as the gang here! You can use the paint you bought for the 22 for the new boat....? You have a nice 22... I hope she finds a new owner soon...
DenaP

Re: Our New Toy

Post by DenaP »

She's been out of the water for several years, always a concern with a wooden boat, but we will splash her on Sunday and see if she is water tight.

Fran,
My husband and I have a large wooden boat, and you will be amazed at the difference in the ride of a wooden boat vs fiberglass. One piece of advise: when you splash her for the first time, leave her on the trailer for an hour allowing the wood to swell slowly since she has been on hard so long. Have a wonderful adventure!

Cheers,
Dena
Dena

Kali Zoi
1975 C22
FranS

Re: Our New Toy

Post by FranS »

DenaP wrote:She's been out of the water for several years, always a concern with a wooden boat, but we will splash her on Sunday and see if she is water tight.

Fran,
My husband and I have a large wooden boat, and you will be amazed at the difference in the ride of a wooden boat vs fiberglass. One piece of advise: when you splash her for the first time, leave her on the trailer for an hour allowing the wood to swell slowly since she has been on hard so long. Have a wonderful adventure!

Cheers,
Dena
Thanks Dena, that's our plan to take her to the boat ramp on Sunday and float her for a while. Im intrigued by your ststement re; differences between wooden and fiberglass boats, what do i have to look forward to?
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

It looks good,BUT it is not a Chrysler, an you in for a lot of up keep. An you are not going to be a happy sailer, you now have a com-water boat. Get in big water, you will wish you had your 22, look at my C-20 as a day sailer.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Fran, looks great in the pic, any idea what she is ? When I picked up my giveaway Rhodes Bantam I was hoping it was wooden, but was a later 'glass model.

More pics when you pick her up ?
FranS

Post by FranS »

EmergencyExit wrote:Fran, looks great in the pic, any idea what she is ? When I picked up my giveaway Rhodes Bantam I was hoping it was wooden, but was a later 'glass model.

More pics when you pick her up ?
I'll bring the camera. We think its home built. The guy we bought it from used it for lake sailing, from the looks of his location.
FranS

Post by FranS »

Chrysler20%26 wrote:It looks good,BUT it is not a Chrysler, an you in for a lot of up keep. An you are not going to be a happy sailer, you now have a com-water boat. Get in big water, you will wish you had your 22, look at my C-20 as a day sailer.
We've owned a wooden boat before, one that my husband built, so we know what we are in for. As for big water... it was never anything I particuarlly enjoyed anyway. I have to admit that Im becoming more of a fair weather sailor these days. We tend to get real light air around here in the summer so I think it will be OK.
DenaP

Post by DenaP »

Fran,

You are in for a smooth ride! Wooden boats are more stable and I have found they have less of a weather helm. Let me know how you like it.

Cheers,
Dena
Dena

Kali Zoi
1975 C22
FranS

Post by FranS »

Well we got her home. No real adventures in transit to report except if you count the fact that we drove through Manhattan on the way back because the G. Wwashington Bridge was backed up. We were quite a sight crossing Manhattan to the Midtown Tunnel.

On inital inspection she is in very good shape. The owner bought her in 1994 and did a complete refurb. The bright work is lovely. She is fiberglass over wood with a lug sail rig. He stepped the mast before we got there and taking it down was so simple it was almost funny to us, given our usual adventures in mast rasing. The trailer is in great shape, worth the price of the boat alone.

The owner didn't really know the name of the boat, thought it might be a Great Pelican but the bow is wrong. Its some kind if Chesapeake Flatie design.

More later
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Ah a wooden boat. They are so smooth, they just feel good when you sail them. It was a 1950's boat from the Seatlte Wooden boat musium that I sailed that convinced me to get a sailboat of my very own. I sailed her for about 2 hours on lake Union. But the work, oh no, not for me.

I'll look at them a drool, sail them when offered but own one. No you need a good job to pay for it and then there is the full time job working on her.

Okay, I only know New York from movies and TV. You trailered the boat through downtown and off the island through a tunnel... under the river. Now that is Ironic. You sailed/drove her under the river on the way home. :shock: I like that story!

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
FranS

Post by FranS »

Actually we trailered her straight across 42nd Street. In typical NY fashion, no one gave us a second look.
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Ah, the story in my mind was much grander, but it's still good.
:D
Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

manhattan sailors.....

Frans.... I once saw a guy Hoseing off his 26 foot powerboat that was sittingon a trailer in a parking spot on west 31st street.

what was so funny was the hose he was using to hose her off was connected to his apt out a window some 5 stories up and then down to the street!
FranS

Post by FranS »

NYCSAILOR wrote:manhattan sailors.....

Frans.... I once saw a guy Hoseing off his 26 foot powerboat that was sittingon a trailer in a parking spot on west 31st street.

what was so funny was the hose he was using to hose her off was connected to his apt out a window some 5 stories up and then down to the street!
Now that's dedication!