New Home

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Chrysler20%26

New Home

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

The Avatar shows my boat at my Brothers, free is good. First time out sailing, I took my 88 year old Mother all went will. Next time out agin with 88 year old, I went out past the cut an put ut the sails, but I got hung up in my Brothers net, around rudder post. So down come the sails, I don't have a ladder. So I put some lops in a rope, to make a rope later. I had my first swim under the boat to free me from the net. That took the fun out, so back to port. To day my son-in-law an 8 year old grandson are comming to go fishing on my SAIL boat. I will have to keep a sped of 2.2 MPR. This time I will go out past the cut an drop ancer, this will hold boat in to the wind, making puting up sails easey, keep me off thos nets. A I have my diveing geer on the boat. ( Mask, Regulater, 12 vote air pump, 5 galan air tank an hose ) My cable for my keel, looks good from in the boat, but I need to look at what is under the boat. I had this boat in my driveway for three years, an been asking myself why I got it, an thinking of saleing it, at lest I had to try it out first. With only one time out sailing, the LOVE AFAR With The C-26 has begun
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Very nice! Keep going out on her and you'll never regret it! The many fun things you will experience are well worth the lessons you'll learn!

Scott
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Yup,,,

Always learnin!

Is that diving system you have a regular kinda system or home made??

Seems like I always run outta air when I'm scrubbing my hull with my snorkel so it takes forever!!

An here's my Mom at the helm,, she's 76 :D

Billy

Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Home made diving setup, Regulator, from dive shop on E-bay $35.00, 12 volt air pump from K-mart $9.00. 5 galen portable air tank fron K-mart $15.00, 20' air hose from K-mart $5.00. Being able to get keel up, after cable brakes--- price less
Sailfrog

New Home

Post by Sailfrog »

Chrysler20%26,

Please be SURE you have a good (Real Good, actually) oil scrubber in the air line downstream from the pump. Most compressors pump microscopic oil particles, and the cheapos will pump more. The oil is in tiny, microscopic droplets usually, but will give you pneumonia big time. Also, some of the oil in the cylinder will burn, or "Diesel", as the compressor is running, due to the heat generated by the compression, which produces Carbon Monoxide. Many of the sponge divers in FL died before they figured it out about 100 yrs ago in the Keys.

Get a good filter; they're cheap in comparison to your health. And have a "tender" standing by when you're diving to pull you out because the filter won't help with the CO. Going hypoxic and passing out in the water is bad for your health too.
sailbob

Post by sailbob »

I second Sailfrog completely you need to use a oil less air compressor using compressors that are made for air inflation, painting ect. is asking for serious health problems big time. There is a reason compressors made for Hooka (regulator, air hose and compressor) rigs are so expensive (the safety factor) you may not feel the effects now but you certainly are taking your health and possibly life and putting them at extreme risk. Please rethink using your current set-up.
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

I thank bouth of you for your post, You are so right, I should of put that inful in my post. My set up is just for vary short time use, 5 to 10 minets, just to service keel cabel. The 12 volt compressor is oil less, or so thay say. I have an inline filter, cotten-in a 1/2 pipe. Just a set up for a 5 foot dive, 5 to 10 minets tops. Just to have handy if the keel brakes, or needs to be changed. Or to put a quick pach, To keep from sinking.
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Thanks!

Never even heard of this stuff and e-bay has a few... may have to do some research... have you guy's used any of this or have any reccomendations?

Billy
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

be careful, don't particulary like the sound of that set-up.... I am curious about another issue though.... in the water, is it even possible to lift the 900lb. swing keel? I know the bouancy might help a bit but if you are floating in the water, what would you "brace" against to lift it......OR would you just dive to simply reconnect the broken cable and then winch 'er up.

I would also like to see you have a tender on deck.

couldn't you just use some kind of sling to slide under the boat and using the main winches on deck kinda winch the keel up into the hull for getting 'er on the trailer -- at least you would stay safe and dry.
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

NYCSAILOR, I made this set up useing an old 30 galen hot water tank. I put 70 ponds of air in It using a oil less compressor. My Brother has a 50' steel troler-house boat with two 6-71 diesel's an 36" propes. Stored in the water in his bilding. We needed to look at the propes an rudders, we have used this set up, three times, with two divers at a time. Low preser 70 pouns, 5 to 10 minets topes, only a 5' dive. For my swing keel, C-20 & C-26, the swing keel fites in side the fixed part of the keel. So when the boats are on the trailers. You can not get at the cable, where it atches to the keel, with out jacking up the boat. Easyer don in the water, with keel down, I can check or replace the cable, an rase the keel with the winch.