Chrysler Outboard

Need certain parts, sails, accessories? Put out a request to the Chrysler Sailing Communty!
Please be sure and include useful information like, location, how much you will pay, etc.

NO COMMERCIAL ADVERTISEMENTS OR BROKER ADS WITHOUT EXPLICIT PERMISSION FROM ADMIN.
scubabreeze

Chrysler Outboard

Post by scubabreeze »

I guess I'll be the first here... :D My motor (77 Chrysler 9.9) has too much damage to the lower unit for repair (it's a long story... *sigh*). I've been watching E-Bay and missed out on another Chrysler. Anyone have parts for sale? Ideas on other options? Thanks!
Rich

Motor

Post by Rich »

I don't have a 9.9, but I do have a Chrysler 6 hp. It is original equipment with my Chrysler 22, it has something wrong with it, it doesn't run reliably, but the lower end is probably fine. My dad thinks the engine problems could be related to the fact that one of the magnetos is very weak, but I really don't know why it runs so inconsistantly. (sometimes it runs fine, sometimes it runs like garbage, and sometimes it just dies and won't start for a while) Anyway, if you think it could be of use to you, make me an offer, find out about shipping options though, I live in Salem Oregon.
"Yeah, God's given us this beautiful day. Let His Spirit fill your soul like the wind in the sails!" -Walkin' on the Docks
scubabreeze

Thanks anyway

Post by scubabreeze »

Hey Rich,
Thanks for the offer, but I've decided to "bite the bullet" and purchase a new motor (OUCH!). I don't think the 6hp lower unit would have matched. I saw one on E-Bay that was supposed to be for 6-8hp, and the measurements didn't match.
Rich

motor

Post by Rich »

Yeah, that's what I did. I didn't buy a brand new motor, but a new to me motor. It came with a warranty and all though. It's a 8hp Suzuki, 2 stroke oil injected (no mixing gas and oil) sail model.
"Yeah, God's given us this beautiful day. Let His Spirit fill your soul like the wind in the sails!" -Walkin' on the Docks
Sam Feder

Chrysler outboards.

Post by Sam Feder »

When Chrysler got in financial trouble, the Govt. bailed them out to prevent them from going under. Part of the deal was they had to sell off many non automotive businesses they were into. One was the boat div. The boat molds were sold, and the outboards were sold to Mercury outboard. MId 70's thru mid 80's were renamed as Merc Force motors, and some gaskets, and parts are still available. You have to have a Merc outboard dealer search their data base. Now I have a Chrysler 8 hp. that is missing the control arm, otherwise is complete with power prop for sailboats, is a standard length shaft, and has both mags, both are new. I sold the boat and this is left over gear. Motor is a 1978. Interested send me an e-mail!

Sam F samfeder@cinci.rr.com