Where do you mount your outboard?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
bmwdad

Where do you mount your outboard?

Post by bmwdad »

My C22 which arrived on my doorstep last year has an OMC power head and sail drive, basically an outboard motor that is inboard. I've been having many problems with the engine and am looking at just adding an outboard. I read many of the postings and it sounds like something like an 8-9.9hp would be sufficient. I see many boats in Monroe harbor of Chicago that have the outboard on the port side, many have mounting brackets to raise and lower the motor. Is there a consensus on mounting an outboard on the C22?
Peter - 1975 C-22
Like the winds of the sea are the ways of fate,
As we voyage along through life:
'Tis the set of the soul which decides its goal,
And not the calm or the strife.
Ella Wheeler Wilcox (Poet, 1850-1919)
FranS

Post by FranS »

We have a 7.5 long shaft Merc, mounted on the center of the stern. It looks like the mount location was original.
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Original was a 6 hp. The 7.5 on mine would push my boat hull speed at only half throttle. I just bought a new 6 hp 4 cycle, i'll let you know how it does....................if i can get home long enough to use it.
Gus

Post by Gus »

Same here, its kinda of a pain in the butt to control the engine that far out, I recommend you to get one with the cockpit controls, I know I want one :)
FranS wrote:We have a 7.5 long shaft Merc, mounted on the center of the stern. It looks like the mount location was original.
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Mine is mounted center as well, being a rather large fellow my boat does the plow as well even under half throttle. I added weight forward to help this some but weight is the enemy so the smallest motor you can get away with is best( it has a lot of leverage sticking so far out the back)......if you only sail lakes you can probably get away with a lot smaller on a 22, if on the other hand you sail in a strong river or make jaunts out into the ocean you need to be able to fight the current,waves and the wind at times so extra horses up to a point can't hurt.

These boats tend to porpoise quite a bit is why you find the center mount on them, add this to any rocking and they don't make a long shaft long enough to keep the foot submerged(if they did you could never get it completely out of the water), even center mounted in large enough chop mine comes out of the water.
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Banshi said...

"they don't make a long shaft long enough to keep the foot submerged(if they did you could never get it completely out of the water), even center mounted in large enough chop mine comes out of the water."

I agree 100% on that. I have the Extra Long Shaft Johnson and if I get up on the bow to put up the jib and even a small wave hits, I lift the foot out of the water, big waves out on the ocean, the whole prop can get air. In chop, I just shut the motor down when I go up on the bow.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
bmwdad

Post by bmwdad »

Alanhod,
Great pictures. I've got a line on nearly the exact same Johnson 9.9, long shaft though. My thoughts are this outboard will be a temporary.

In the fall, once I get the boat home, I'll be pulling the inboard motor out so that I can replace the seal that is allowing water into the cylinders. If I like the performance of the outboard though, I might just keep it. Its such a hassle to deal with this inboard. First, the engine hatch which is on the cockpit floor leaked, this rotted some of the core in the floor. Created a new hatch, replaced the rotted core, and fiberglassed so that is taken care of. Had a coolant system leak which partially filled the engine compartment. The compartment was not water tight so this oily water goes into the cabin and makes a mess. Having everything external just seems like a clean solution. The main advantage is the inboard controls.
Peter - 1975 C-22
Gus

Post by Gus »

This one seems like a nice little outboard to have:

http://www.tohatsu.com/news.html

Its the first one (Sail-Pro)
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Gus ,

I just hung that exact motor on my boat two weeks ago. as soon as I get out we'll see how well it performs:) Ran real nice in the test tank though.
Gus

Post by Gus »

Oh cool! Please do! that's the motor I want for mine (if I don't buy a Pearson Ariel first! :p)

Gus
Banshi wrote:Gus ,

I just hung that exact motor on my boat two weeks ago. as soon as I get out we'll see how well it performs:) Ran real nice in the test tank though.
bmwdad

Post by bmwdad »

Well, I got one on the way too. Will pick it up tomorrow. I just am tired of spending all this time working on the boat and not spending any time sailing.
I've been sailing for 9 years and this is the first year I owned a boat and I've sailed less this year than the previous 8 years. If the weather cooperates, I should be back on the water early next week.
Peter - 1975 C-22