Manowar repair

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
isaacs

Post by isaacs »

Hey Alan thanks for the welcome. What part of washington? I am over by Spokane.
I'll look forward to seeing some pictures of your boat when you get a chance Lee. I think I will have to replace the wood on the trunk. It is pretty soft. I am taking the boat out today if all goes well.
Isaac.S
Leeway

Post by Leeway »

Good Luck, Isaac! Hope you have good wind.

I'll try to get the pictures up by Saturday. It really depends on whether I get derailed from working on the boat or not. You know, kids, wife, etc...
Lee Hoeppner
Boat: C-15 Man-o-War
Name: Sea'chele
Year: Pre-1973
isaacs

Post by isaacs »

We just got back from an awesome couple hours of sailing. It was fun, a little scary since it was the first time for being in a few whitecaps. The wind was really gusty and the boat launch was in a hillside shadow that made all kinds of weird eddies. It was great though and I like the boat. When it gets going fast it makes this humming that you can feel in the floor, the tiller and the mast. Is that the sail making that? Maybe it will help when I get some battens.
I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.
Thanks,
Isaac.S
Leeway

Post by Leeway »

Glad you had a good time and that you got back in one piece! :wink:

That humming you feel and hear is coming from vibration of the center board. You know you are going pretty good when it starts a hummin'! :lol:
Lee Hoeppner
Leeway

Post by Leeway »

Isaac,

Sorry, I didn't get to the point in my repairs that I was able to pull the mast and sail out to take pictures of the rigging. I'm going to try to get to it this week, but it won't be until Wednesday at the earliest.

Lee
Lee Hoeppner
isaacs

Post by isaacs »

Thats ok Lee, I think I got it figured out. It works quite well. Sunday I was out in some 20mph or so wind. I had to furl the sail down but it was fun! Was out with Billy (Bhacurly) and had a great time on his boat and mine too. He took some shots of me from his boat and clocked me at 5.5-6mph. It was great! He'll be posting some pictures soon I am sure.
Isaac.S
isaacs

Post by isaacs »

So we took the boat out again the other day. We had 15-20mph winds with some bigger gusts. We had a blast! We had 4 adults and 3 smaller dogs in the boat. It was way overloaded but we managed to not capsize. The boat handled really well and went at a pretty good clip. I used http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ and figured we sailed 6-7 miles.
Only problem is I think we bent the mast a bit. Not a large bend but noticeable. What would cause that? The overloaded boat? too much wind? Ideas? We were trying to go as fast as we could without tipping over so could this have been it?
Thanks,
Isaac.S
Leeway

Post by Leeway »

My best guess is that the boat was overloaded. Combine that with trying to go really fast and you get a lot of torque on the mast right in the middle of the top section.

The boat is really only designed for 2 adults or up to 450lbs total, so if you had more than that you probably had too much drag.

I wouldn't worry about a slight bend in the mast though. My mast is also bent slightly (got it that way) and I have had no problems with it.

I still haven't had time to work on mine, so it still has not touched the water yet this summer :cry:

HOPEFULLY, I will be able to work on it this weekend.
Lee Hoeppner