Rudder bracket repair on MOW

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
kholder

Rudder bracket repair on MOW

Post by kholder »

I have a 1979 MOW that the rudder attachment bracket is coming loose. I can't tell exactly how it is mounted to the transom other than 4 long machine screws into something(?). I have been told it was mounted before the red top was mounted to the hull.

I have also been told that most likely I would have to cut a hole in the top of the boat near the back & make a new mounting bracket. Any thoughts on this?

Ken Holder
Leeway

Post by Leeway »

What you have been told is absolutely correct.

I did this repair myself. You can read about the repair at http://www.chryslersailors.com/discussi ... highlight=

Sorry, I really meant to post a "How To" out there with pictures, but kept getting sidetracked.

So, you need the following items for this repair...

(1) 6" deck plate and appropriate number of stainless steel panhead bolts, nuts, and washers.
(1) Small tube of Marine silicone
(1) 1/8 to 1/4" plate of aluminum to be used as a backer
(4) 1/4" hex bolts (don't recall the length)
(eight) 1/4" washers
(4) 1/4" locknuts

You may need to patch the old holes in the transom, so make sure you mark around the gudgeon before you remove it completely so you put it back in the same place.

Note: that the original holes in the gudgeon were #10 in size, but I could not find stainless #10 hex head bolts, so I went up to 1/4" and enlarged the holes in the gudgeon.

Install the Deck plate first before installing the Gudgeon so your forearm doesn't get all cut up from the fiberglass edges around the hole. The Deckplate should come with instructions.
Lee Hoeppner
Boat: C-15 Man-o-War
Name: Sea'chele
Year: Pre-1973