Winter Projects

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Winter Projects

Post by EmergencyExit »

Winter Projects - we all got 'em, we all (don't) want em, whatta we do with them. Here we go, I'll tell you

With an eye towards moving EE back to the coast this spring for a bit of barrier island cruising/camping, EE will haul out this week and work on.

main cabin grab rails inside and out (built but need installing)

Rig for lines led aft

Complete the nav station (right now things are scattered around the cabin - want to move them all to one place)

Add a holding tank to the head so it is usuable.

service the outboard

complete the L shaped galley (it is built but only roughed in needs a finishing touch)

repair/replace a broken lifeline stanchion ( stupid piling...)

seal the rudder post hole at top so it doesn't leak rain down the outside of the tube.

add spreader down lights

add solar vents

add solar charger

add shut offs on all above waterline thru hulls.

Reinstall the shore power system

swap lighting out for the LED fixtures I found.

Anybody else chime in ? Have a very fruitful day...
al the pal

Post by al the pal »

1979 C-26
My Boat Overhaul Blog: http://alexadrift.wordpress.com/
trev
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by trev »

Winter projects ha. It gets way to cold and way to much snow here to work on the boat. Maybe someday I'll have a big enough heated shed, until then my winter list gets done in the summer. :(
77 C25
Myasis Dragon
http://www.svmyasisdragon.com
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

I am looking forword to working with sailbob, he has good live abord C-26. My C-26 is only a day sailer, if it was a live abord. I could sail south for the winter. Just some place out of the ice would be nice. But my big thing will be to get the boat back in the water as soon as I can. The weather hear has been great for Nov. ( No Wind At All)
parared

Post by parared »

I'd like to replace the forestay, backstay and shrouds. Does anyone have an idea what that would cost? And where do you go to have them made up? I'm expecting someplace like west marine could do it, but probably be expensive.

Can you make them up yourself? I notice that the turnbuckles are press fitted to the cable. Is that a requirement, or can you make a loop there?
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

If I start writting a list I might scare myself. But really I'm lucky that shes in very good shape and most of whats needed is cosmetic and wants I will be taking it to the coast so the importaint things like bottom paint and keel pin assembly are the only real things that need to be done other then setting up a nav station. Well that and getting an engine on her.

Last sunday with no wind I swam (thats great Nov weather) while the wife cleaned the cabin and we disscused things that would make it more to our liking...I'm leaving the cabin to her as long as nothing looks to girly...lol

I'm all about adding more teak as I've said many times and sure thats where most of the time will be spent ..lol and money

I'm sure there will be more when I get it back to the house.
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Sailing...sailing....and more sailing ;)

You can make your own standing rigging but you will need to use mechanical fittings like sta-lok (there are several different manufacturers). I have one on my backstay and I am finally gaining some first hand confidence in them. I hope to replace mine soon before I enjoy the spectacle of a demasting first hand.
mariner

Post by mariner »

Only spring projects for me, once AnneMarie is put away she's put away until next year (too far from home in storage). Sadly that day was today, now I have to refocus on home improvements and get re-aquainted with the wife!

1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Banshi wrote:Sailing...sailing....and more sailing ;)
I know. Its the best time of the year down year, nice wind, cooler temps - but if I don't get busy it won't happen, and without a launch vehicle, once out she stays out..
Gus

Post by Gus »

I can say that I don't have do to nothing mayor on my C-22 this winter! I need to replace the bow light that got busted while at anchor in Cape Lookout, and that's about it!

Weather's getting nice over here, I might squeeze another sail before the winter hit us.
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
J. Austin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J. Austin »

She looks cozy in there Mariner, I wish mine fit in my barn.
I have a Spring project, build a bigger barn!

Image[/code]
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
jerecaustin.com
mariner

Post by mariner »

I wish i had a barn! Im keeping her at the place the PO kept her for 30 years! i cannot beat the price however the cost is that she is about 40 miles away, so its not very convenient to tinker around, but i will have plenty of armchair sailing!
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Mariner, I sure can relate - EE is about 50 away when the ferry is in service, and about 75 when not in service. That's the main reason I want to get all the upgrades and repairs out of the way - the coast will be even further. If I trusted the axles on that old trailer I'd bring her home, but I'm not getting back on the road til those are replaced or evaluated.

My eventual solution to that pesky ferry can be seen here -

http://flatironcorp.oxblue.com/jjab/
and
http://www.timedla.com/bridge/audubon/overview/
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

this is a great thread.... the best way I can say it is .....all of the above!....

Maybe we can break into smaller forums and group us into projects like ...electrical.. or rigging... or outboard and such....

I have so many projects, I am now thinking which ones to do in what order ( almost like a GC or project manager) OR just which ones are the most important....

I am very interested in what EE will do for a Nav station design..
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
Sundowner

Post by Sundowner »

Like Mario G says - I am afraid to start a list. Other than getting the new traveler mounted - I takes'em as I sees'em.

Took ma and pa sailing yesterday. Perfect conditions for a couple of 70+ year old newbies. Their first time to see Sundowner, they were impressed, but they're my parents what else would they say.

Fortunately, down here in Texas we get to sail most of the year.

So, I get to sail/work/sail.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Wait Alan!!

I thought your winter projects included replacing the keel pin on Lady Jo???

;)

Scott
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

I will be there front and center and in the way when we pull the pin on Lady Jo. I am very excited about being part of the whole experience. Stepping a mast is fun and an experience but pulling a keel, NOW THAT is a project you can sink your teeth into.

I was thinking maybe we should do some kind of higher end finish on the keel too while we have it out of the boat. De rust it, rust treatment, seal it in epoxy, sand it smooth, new bottom paint, and matching paint for the rudder. Kind of like a pedicure for the boat.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
2nd generation

Post by 2nd generation »

First winter project-

New trailer lights. Then haul it to the Florida Keys for two weeks of sailing over the holidays. While there add to the to-do list. Bring it home to Michigan wrap it in its cozy blue winter blanket (also called a tarp). Dream of sailing for four months. Start the work on the list in the spring.
Mike
(former owner of) 1975 C-22 "Mel-O"
J. Austin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J. Austin »

Mike, I've been a Michigander for almost 12 years now, but I was born and raised in FL. Please send lots of pics from your Keys trip. Hope the wind is steady and the weather perfect!
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
jerecaustin.com
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

To cold to work directely on the boat, plus the need for snowshoes to get to it.
Moves the projects to the woodshop.
-refinishing the hand rails (removed befor tarping)
-making ash and magohany tiller (6" shorter than stock)
-screen panels for companion way
-Rebuild origional stove
-design an build pop-up inclosure
-new seals and impeller in the 280 saildrive
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

winter projects

Post by hp18carr »

Lots and lots of prep work to get ready for my 2010 summer projects :?

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26 1980
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Capt Bondo - if thats a Sailor 280 outboard, EE would recommend you do the fuel pump diaphragm and the carb kit will you're in there after that impeller. About another 40 bucks and worth the time and money to go ahead and freshen it all up if you're not sure it has been done recently.

Don't ask how I know that one..
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

EE; Thanks for the pointers, I already did the carb and fuel pump last summer after I bought the boat to get the motor running, I replaced all the hoses under there also while I was at it.
The hardest part of that job was getting through all the electrical to get at the carb and pump.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

"The hardest part of that job was getting through all the electrical to get at the carb and pump"

Oh, boy, ain't it true. And getting a screwdriver to the cover of the fuel pump was fun too.

I had to pull the powerhead off mine to get at a pin on the upper shift rod. It was so easy I'll do that again if I ever have to do the carb or fuel pump again.
thepartydog

Post by thepartydog »

Winter projects? Which winter, 07, 08, or 09. Never mind, the list hasn't changed any, just grown a little smaller each winter.
Darin
"Ya Never Know"
1980 C26
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Just an add on it is better to take the carb off first an then due the fuel pump first. I did not remove power heat, boy do I wish I had goten new fuel lines. My old fuel lines gave out.
oldiesrocker2001

Post by oldiesrocker2001 »

While I just finished covering up the Chrysler for the winter, my Venture has been covered up since last fall while planning a knee replacement. In the spring the V21(also known as 'Wind is Free') gets a re-varnishing on the tiller, wiring in that last cabin lite near the storage locker and I'll try to fabricate that slug gate that allows them to slide to the boom and minimize reefing hassles. The Mutineer will need re-varnishing on all wood parts and a serious check on standing and running rigging. Since the Venture gets to it's summer home sooner, I'll have more time to inspect the "mutt" inbetween sailing the venture. Sometimes I wish I had a space like Mariner's to keep either boat, but I converted my double garage into a recording studio more than a decade ago.. 8)
If anything's gonna happen, it'll happen out there