Line size--diameter

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
dennyzen
Site Admin
Site Admin

Line size--diameter

Post by dennyzen »

I am replacing halyards. I took the old ones off and measured for length, but what line thickness is appropriate?

The ones I took off are 3/8s, but when went to check out something I noticed that the sheaves were thinner than I thought. (The jib halyard no longer has the wire part.) When I ran a 3/8s through the sheaves, it was clear that you sure wouldn't want it to be any larger. What were they originally or what size would be appropriate? Is it 1/4? What would be too small?

I'm probably either going to order Sta-Set from WestMarine or get XLS off the shelf at Boatersworld here in town.

I checked the sheaves, and they seem to run around ok. However, about the sheaves--the metal piece between has apparently been hacked into a ragged, jagged, sharp edge that probably accounts for some wear and tear on the jib halyard. It looks like the metal loop on the main halyard wire hits it when the sail is down and its taken quite a few chunks off of what was, I think a rounded edge. I don't think the rope part of the main halyard hits it. If I file it smooth--is there something I can put on it that will protect it. I suppose the white tape I put on other fittings might do but duct tape comes to mind as sturdier. It seems though that it would come off pretty soon. I don't take the mast down all summer. If I ever have to replace it or the sheaves, it looks like I have to take off the entire mast end/cap. It looks like replacement would be something I'd have to have custom done. Any ideas or should I not even worry about this?
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Not sure which boat you have, but on our C26 I used 3/8" bacause that was what I found on it...bought on Ebay from EBay ID: BargainH2OSports

Their phone is Bargain Watersports and Marine, Inc. 386-290-8959.

Local West Marine was 89 cents a foot, this was 38 cents a foot including shipping, not sure what the going rate is straight up, that was our winning bid price...

Beau

www.canufly.net/~boydleake