Fixed Keel Question

Post All Keel Topics Here
skyking

Fixed Keel Question

Post by skyking »

I'm in the prosess of re doing the bottom of my 22 & I found that most of the seal is cracked or missing where the keel meets the hull. I plan on cleaning this old caulking or whatever it is and replacing it.

can someone tell me is there a specific sealant or caulking that should be used? I dont want any leaks when i launch this summer.

as you can tell from the picture theres quit a bit of work to be done, mostly wlbow grease. the gentleman that I got this boat from has everything bagged & tagged. which I'M thankful for. It will speed up the re assembly process.
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

I have a c-26 fixed keel -- never saw a c22 fixed keel. Great trailer!
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

I don't know what sealant you use. But like the last post, I've never seen the fixed kell C-22, I've seen an add for a C-22 fixed keel but no photo's. Thanks for the picture. I hear they are even faster then the swing keels.

Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
skyking

Post by skyking »

In all honesty my wife stumbled across this boat, Its funny because I traded a gas hog jet ski for it. My hopes are to have it in the water by June???

I have talked to a local sail boat shop and he said that the 5200 sealant would be the stuff to use?

We will surly get some nicer pictures as we progress.....
kokezaru

Post by kokezaru »

There was an article in the March 2009 issue of Cruising World magazine where they were replacing the keel bolts. They also use 3M 5200.
skyking

Post by skyking »

Thank you, I will try to locate a copy..