Manowar mounting informations

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
jtrembaly30

Manowar mounting informations

Post by jtrembaly30 »

EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I'm sure the Man O' War guys will chime in, but you can view/print/download a manual for your boat by Clicking Here
Leeway

Post by Leeway »

jtrembaly30,

Welcome aboard!

As EE has posted, check the manual first, it has a good diagram on how to rig the main sheet to the boom, provided you have the original setup. These boats have been around for a while, so some owners have modified when repairing.

It also describes the process for securing the boom and the mast to the deck.

As for the dagger board. If it is hitting the swivel base then you most likely have it in backwards or someone replaced the wood trim and didn't cut to the right length. The angled edge should be facing the bow.

The rudder does not lock in place in the up position on it's own, but will unlock from the down position if beaching the boat or hitting an obstruction. The boat originally had a 2-piece clip with a female connector on the deck just aft of the cockpit and a male connector mounted on the tiller like this...

Mine is long gone and I haven't looked into a suitable replacement, until now. Instead, I have used a bungee cord of suitable length to keep the rudder in the up position.

I have been so busy with other stuff I haven't had time to work on my boat. I can't even use it this weekend because I'm still working on repairing the trunk. If I have time on Friday before I leave for the weekend I will try to rig the boat up and take some pics. My boat is not original in how the mast/boom/sail are rigged, so I'm not sure if the pics will help.

However, here is a rough drawing of what an originally rigged man-o-war should look like.

Lee Hoeppner
Boat: C-15 Man-o-War
Name: Sea'chele
Year: Pre-1973
jtrembaly30

Post by jtrembaly30 »

Thanks a lot Leeway. This answer my questions. I will try some stuff next times I got a chance and i'll take some picture if I still got problem.

My boat seem to be original with no modification. But I don't remember seeing any 2-piece clip. In order to raise the rudder I have to raise the tiller(1). I don't understand how the clip can hold the tiller raised?
isaacs

Post by isaacs »

Welcome to the forum! I have a manowar as well and really enjoy it.
Here is a picture of how mine is rigged. I am not sure if it is correct but it works.
I hook the end of my line to the eye on the mast. I then run it through the pulley at the luff (front) of the boom and then down to the deck cleat. If there is too much wind, you can furl (wrap the sail around the mast) the sail down quite a ways. It works really nice. I went sailing in 25mph winds this way (see pictures here
Have fun!
Isaac.S
Leeway

Post by Leeway »

jtrembaly30 wrote:Thanks a lot Leeway. This answer my questions. I will try some stuff next times I got a chance and i'll take some picture if I still got problem.

My boat seem to be original with no modification. But I don't remember seeing any 2-piece clip. In order to raise the rudder I have to raise the tiller(1). I don't understand how the clip can hold the tiller raised?
With the original rudder/tiller you can pull forward on the tiller to tilt the rudder up. To keep it this way you snap the tiller connector of the clip into the deck connector and it will stay in the up position. This is good for when you want to push the boat from shore into the deeper water or when you need to anchor and don't want the boat turning.
Lee Hoeppner
Boat: C-15 Man-o-War
Name: Sea'chele
Year: Pre-1973