keel slapping around....

Post All Keel Topics Here
tnc110

keel slapping around....

Post by tnc110 »

so it got my c22 back in the water today...and i noticed a thumping sound. turns out its the keel sliding side to side on the pin...anyone else have this problem?
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

I shimmed mine with washers when I reinstalled it, even so it still thumps if the waves are large enough as the cable looses tension.
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

tnc, Good to see you back in the water, if your girlfrend is sailing with you, I would say she's a keeper. Better luck sailing.
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
parared

Post by parared »

Hmm, I've heard this before, but thought it was a back and forth thump, ie the bow raises on a wave, swing keep swings a little aft, then bow comes down, keel goes forward and thump.

My boat had the keep pin totally redone just before I bought it ( saw the receipts from a good local marina ), so I *hope* its not going side to side. On mine, it was definitely correlated with the bow coming down after a good lift.

Don't some swing keels seem to have a mechanism to lock the keel down?
tnc110

Post by tnc110 »

i did some investigating today... when i re installed my new keel i glassed over the large hole above/aft of the pin that the nylon rod came through. i did this because on the inside at the area that the flange mounted to was rotten. it was bad enough that i know that it would never have sealed back up. i assumed that this nylon pin was designed to lock the keel down so i didnt think that i would need it. however i think that maybe the nylon rod is used to push on the side of the keel to take up any slack??? my original keel never made a noise when the nylon rod was in place...

today i cut an 8 inch circle out of a 1/2" thick nylon sheet. then drilled a 5/8 hole in the center. cut a 5/8" slot from the edge to the center hole, leaving just enough material around the hole so that i can smack it with a hammer and get it to "click" onto the keel pin. was planning on using this as a shim to get the keel to tighten up a bit, but the 1/2" shim was too much/too thick. tomorrow i'm gonna try to find some thinner material and try again...
Gus

Post by Gus »

Yup, that's what the nylon pin its for, it was there for a reason to start with.
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Yeah mine was really corroded to almost nothing and did not work so I just removed it, it really is only a issue in really large waves and even then I crank it up a little more to put more tension on the cable.