Keel conversion

Post All Keel Topics Here
Mario G

Keel conversion

Post by Mario G »

I really like the convenience of the swing keel but keep reading its not idea for blue water sailing. So what about a fix keel adoption?, for lack of better way of saying it.

I think I wand to make a fix keel that I can install on my C-22 that when I want to blue water sail will give my better stability with the ability to remove when I'm on the lakes.

I figure with the swing keel down and a fix keel adaptor that could ad a little more weight and bolt up intp the swing keel stall.
robinsonzak

Post by robinsonzak »

Its funny,
Ive been thinking about exactly that for the past few weeks. I think welding up an aptly sized keel, filling it with concrete or led, possibly adding a wing or fatty bulb on the bottom of the keel?!?!?
I think using the existing keel pin or ripping that out and putting a good sized through bolt would be sufficient for initially anchoring the front of the keel, the aft section would be a different story though. I think adding a bunch of glass and roving by ripping out some of the cabin sole just behind the companionway bulkhead would add enough rigidity to the bottom of the hull, then using some small angle brackets to bolt into the keel then bolt into the reinforced section on the hull etc. etc. Then glass and fair the whole thing over for a smooth underside. My main concern would be adding too much weight for the glass structure...ripping the keel out while cruising would be catastrophic. Let me know if your serious about trying it, Id love to see pics. I wouldnt be able to start a project like this on my boat until next summer.

Z
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

for the aft of the fix keel you could run it thru the cable hole, re-enforce the hull around the thru hole so yo can draw it tight.

I'm going to start on this after I bring my boat back from the lake in Dec. altho I still have the parts boat hull that I can mock -up around.

theres a Hunter 25 fix keel on stands at marina I think I'll copy its dimensions
frankyd

fixed keel

Post by frankyd »

To be blunt, I dont think its financially logical to convert to fix keel. Find a fixed keel boat and buy it. It would be cheaper and surefire. If I wanted the benefits of a swing keel I would just buy one, our boats are cheap. My boat isn't the only $1000 fixed keel in the forum. Then just move all your hardware to the new boat and sell the old boat for the same price.
Gus

Post by Gus »

I agree, what's the point in converting a swing keel sailboat into a fixed keel? Get a fixed keel and it'll save you a lot of $$$ (and headaches) down the road. I'd use my swing keel sailboat 'till I can sail it with my eyes closed. It takes a lot of time to learn how to sail good enough to move up to a bigger boat IMO.

Gus
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

Find someone ( onthis forum?) that has a fixed keel that wants a swing keel and switch! OR set-up a "keel exchange" ont he forum where sailors can exchange boats for a weekend or two or a season.. say even C-26 for a C-22 and so on if people want to try out other boats or have a shollow cruising area for thhat weekend OR their boat is layed up for repairs.. or they are traveling to europe and won't be using their boat... etc...
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343