22 swing keel height needed to drop??

Post All Keel Topics Here
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

22 swing keel height needed to drop??

Post by CaptainScott »

Does anyone know how height the bottom the the hull needs to be off the keel support to allow the front of the keel to drop out from the slot?

Looks like I have a project! LOL!

Scott
tnc110

Post by tnc110 »

I would give yourself 3-4' of room to work. I used a Heavy floor jack to maneuver mine around. I built a cradle with 4 standards that fit into the large hole in the floor jack. It worked great. I would strongly recommend having a helper with you! You'll have to use 2 bottle jacks and some blocking to get it down far enough to get it into the floor jack cradle.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Thanks and yes! I plan on having Alan over and possibly a second body when the keel gets dropped! We just may do his in the future so it would benifit us both! :) me first though! LOL!

How much of the keel sticks into the bottom of the boat? I'm guessing 6 inches??

Scott
tnc110

Post by tnc110 »

it varies...about an inch in the rear then probably 12" or so in the front.

You could probably get away with having the hull 3' off the ground, just depends on what you use to get the keel in and out with.
robinsonzak

keel height

Post by robinsonzak »

I just replaced my hardware last week, it takes 29 inches vertical clearance from the bottom of the keel to the bottom of the hull. Keep in mind thats a minimum... We did it with the boat on the trailer with block and tackle stabilization systems with a floor jack. I cant recommend that method, a little scary. Good luck.

Z
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

This picture might help give some perspective on the distances needed, this is mine just before putting it back in place, it is just below the slot with only a inch or two extra of clearance
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Thanks for the input guys! Especially the photo!
I'm beggining to form ideas on how to raise the boat .
Even have some ideas on supporting her above the trailer.

Wheels are spinning! LOL!
again, Thanks!

Next round of question about buying or building the hardware will come once I raise her enough and begin dissassembly! My assumption is that all the parts are likely rusted badly.

Scott