How Do I Inspect My C22's Swing Keel Brackets?

Post All Keel Topics Here
DenaP

How Do I Inspect My C22's Swing Keel Brackets?

Post by DenaP »

I've been following the posts about the swing keel brackets, but not too closely since I thought they had been replaced by the PO. So, imagine my surprise this weekend when I looked over my notes and realized he had only replaced the keel pin!

The boat has been on the hard since I bought her in January (she was in a slip when I bought her), and this would be the perfect time to replace the keel brackets. However, I have no idea how to inspect them. What do I need to do?

Cheers,
Dena
Dena

Kali Zoi
1975 C22
FranS

Post by FranS »

You can see them partially from inside the boat in the portside storage compartment and there should be an acess plate on the outside of the same storage area. That will not give you the full view. The only other way is to get under the boat and look up in the slot. If there is corrosion, you may have an issue. Ours had hardly any material left.
DenaP

Post by DenaP »

Thanks Fran.

I have a feeling that the keel brackets are in very poor shape. Yesterday, I looked inside the boat in the area(s) you mentioned and what I saw was pretty sketchy, including a piece of wood screwed to something, so I surmised something that flimsy couldn't be the keel bracket!

I presume I will have to have the keel fully extended in order to get a proper look from the outside, correct?
Dena

Kali Zoi
1975 C22
FranS

Post by FranS »

A peice of wood! Now that's scary! I was able to get a good look with the keel retracted. I'd start there unless the boat is up on stands. If you do lower the keel I'd leave tension on the cable so its holding some of the weight.
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

You will see more with the keel up. The bottom of the bracket is flush with the bottom of the hull so it will be easy to see the rest will depend on the condition of the keel and the brackets. If they are badly rusted, as mine were, you won't be able to see anything. The rust was expanding on mine and had the keel jambed tight. Here is one of mine :)

There are some additional pics here

http://www.byershome.net/_Boat/Keel/Keel%20Brackets.htm
Windward

Post by Windward »

Wow! Wasn't much left of those, was there? Good looking repair.
DenaP

Post by DenaP »

Banshi,

Thanks so much for the photo! Your bracket looks like I fear mine might. I will get under the boat as soon as the nasty weather in Virginia passes, and I'll make sure to have my camera - we might have matching photographs! Also, thanks for the link to the other pics.

As usual, the Chrysler Brain Trust come through!

Cheers,
Dena
Dena

Kali Zoi
1975 C22
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Dena,
Looks like you guys are getting a lot more grief out of Ida than we did on the Gulf !
DenaP

Post by DenaP »

EmergencyExit wrote:Dena,
Looks like you guys are getting a lot more grief out of Ida than we did on the Gulf !
Oh, boy, you aren't kidding! Tides have been really high, wind gusts over 65 mph, and oh, lest I forget, the unrelenting rain! This has been going on for 48 hours! Fortunately, the flooding didn't get into our house, but we do have parts of our neighbor's dock in our yard, and someone's lawn chair is hanging on our dock sink! Thanks for thinking of us!

Dena
Dena

Kali Zoi
1975 C22