Page 1 of 1
Trying out a paint strip product.
Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:43 pm
by EmergencyExit
No commercial intent here - just posting for those who may need to remove poly paint one day - am trying out a product called "Ready Strip". You can also buy "Aqua Strip" at the marine stores, but I don't see any difference except about half the price and the one word on the label. Says it removes up to 7 layers safely, no MEK, etc.
Did a sample square today, and it worked well enough that I'm going to do the whole boat this weekend. Will let you all know how it goes.

Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:53 pm
by CaptainScott
Good luck with that!
Scott
paint striper
Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:42 am
by hp18carr
E.E.
Painting below the water line will most likely be the last thing I do on my overhaul. This paint striper you speak of, is it strong enough to cut through old barrier coats and still be safe enough for bare fiberglass?
Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26 1980
Pandora (for now)
Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:04 am
by Mario G
Terrence your hull below the water line looked like mine on the C-22 and if so you sould just use a razor scraper and paint thinner to remove the old paint...you would be suprised how easy it just wipes off with thinner.
I have used chemical stripper on cars before and know you really want to make sure the surface has been cleaned very well not to trap residue behind that will create small bubbles after a hot day. with the fiberglass being more pourus then metal I would was the hull a few good times letting it dry a few days in between. (I tell people around my shop its very nasty stuff but it will get the job done)
Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:33 am
by EmergencyExit
Terrence I'm only removing a layer or two of unknown type topside paint so I won't be able to test that. However, the Aqua Strip version blurb claims -
"Environmentally safe, biodegradable, nonflammable marine stripper safely removes multiple layers of antifouling paints, varnishes, polyurethanes, enamels, teak oils, nonskid deck coatings, latex, and more in one application! Odor-free, and cleans up with water. Can be applied with brush, roller, or spray on fiberglass, wood, aluminum, and gelcoat. Contains no methylene chloride or caustic agents."
Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:59 am
by Banshi
That picture gives me the willies.............looks a lot like my bottom before I spent many hours of scaping and sanding to removing it.
paint striper
Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:05 am
by hp18carr
Thanks for all the insight guys... I'm not looking forward to this part of my overhaul, but when it comes I do want to do right. On a bottom of this age will I need to work my way completly down to the fiberglass?
Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26 1980
Pandora (for now)
Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:40 am
by Banshi
define fiberglass? if you mean taking off the gelcoat...no. It acts as your waterproofing and you want to do as little damage to it as possible. Take it down to the gelcoat use a fiberglass form release agent cleaner then give it a light sanding and install the bottom coat paint of choice.
Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:29 am
by hp18carr
Banshi
The reason why I'm asking, there are some places where the old paint has not adhered to the fiberglass... flaking off. It maybe old patch work improperly done, being new to this I'm just speculating. In the pic below is this down to bare fiberglass or just patch work?
Terrence
wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26 1980
Pandora (for now)
Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:45 am
by Banshi
Yeah looks like someone took it down past the gel coat in this area, depending on whether you intend to keep it in the water all the time or not you should use a coat of waterproofing paint first to prevent osmosis from occurring in this area. If you plan to keep it on a trailer I would not worry about it as long as the patch/repair looks sound.
Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:55 am
by hp18carr
Thanks
Not to drag this post past its usefulness, ot too illustrate my ignorance in these matters, but is a waterproffing paint equivalent to a barrier coat?
Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26 1980
Pandora (for now)
Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:17 am
by Gus
mmm nop, the paint will dissolve, you gotta use epoxy.
Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:01 pm
by Banshi
Paint is a general term covering many different products, the paint you would use as a final coat is not sufficient if you keep your boat in the water for extended periods, it won't melt (except for some defowling paints)

but it will allow water to penetrate and damage the glass structure below. Even a two part epoxy will allow water through if left submerged for extended periods. They make special waterproofing "paints" to prevent this. Look up interlux for starters to get an idea what you need. Like I said if your boat is never going to be in the water for more than a few days a good two part epoxy paint will be fine in my opinion, otherwise you need to reestablish the water tight coating.
Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:49 am
by Chrysler20%26
I have tryed Aqus strip, witout sucess. Then I got Zip-Strip works good, but if you can do your hole boat in a week end, I wont to use what you do. Please keep us informed.
Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:42 am
by EmergencyExit
We are about to find out - heading out to buy a gallon, roll it out, and wait a few hours to see...hoping to strip it today, wash and sand some, then sand more and prime Sunday, then get a coat on Monday, and one on Tuesday. This isn't big ole EE, its the Cal 21' so it is a lot smaller project...if it goes well EE will be next. Will take plenty of pics.
Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:19 pm
by EmergencyExit
Well, it works pretty good. I tried to stretch it to about twice the recommended coverage (50sf/gal) and it worked good, a bit of push with the scrapper needed.
However on a few areas I laid it on very thick, about what I thought was intended by the coverage figure, and the paint all but fell off by itself.
Here's a sample

Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:58 am
by Banshi
As you scrap and toil remember it could be worse..........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCp4mGZ3 ... ure=digest
Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:23 pm
by EmergencyExit
Banshi - yikes ! Glad we don't have to do THAT !!