Page 1 of 1

Mondays 03/29/2010 Question and boating safety tip. ANSWERED

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:11 am
by CaptainScott
Saftey Tip:
Following last weeks question it seems that there is a lack of knowledge of the most basic method you have to protect from going aground. Folks it is critical that when on the water you know what markers mean and what to do when seeing them. This week I will show photos I took two weeks ago when taking Destiny to Anacortes for the weekend. These are not internet drawings or pictures from a training book. These are actual photos I took. The reason for this is to show you that these things are indeed real. You really need to know them if you do ANY cruising. Yeah, admitedly, a lot of people simply sail the same old waters. Most pretty much know the areas they sail. However I'd bet most would JUMP at the chance to sail new waters. New waters means new hazards. I've just recently started a collection of markers I see when on the water. There are not a lot there yet but it might be interesting for some of you to look at just to see if you know what they are. Especially you guys here in the Pacific Northwest. We sail the same waters!!

Click here if you want to see them.






Question:
We'll keep it simple.

Please note: At all times I knew exactly where I was at and the depths under my keel when I took these photos.

Here are three photos of a set of range markers.
Let us assume you are motoring along up a channel. Alan, pay attention here . . . :) Keels do indeed go bump in the night . . . .

The view of each photo is looking straight ahead over the bow of your boat. Match each view ( photo ) with how you should steer your boat.


1) Steer to port
2) Steer to starboard
3) hold your course.


A)
Image

B)
Image

C)
Image



Scott


PS: Alan, I picked on you because where you store Honu has several sets of range markers between your launch and the open water. You should get to know each set of them. You will feel much better about the river!!!!!!! HOpe you don't mind! :)

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:46 am
by Alanhod

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:34 pm
by tgentry
I'm with Alan on this one, he got them all right.

Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:56 am
by lecker68
A = 3
B = 1
C = 2

Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:59 am
by CaptainScott
Good job guys!

ANSWER:

Remember the goal when using range markers is to keep them in line so the answers are indeed . . . . .

1) B
2) C
3) A


Also remember range markers do not necessarily have to be specific markers. Radio towers, Church steeples, water towers or any other clearly visible marker can be used!