2nd outting with C-26 (and the adventure continues)

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Mario G

2nd outting with C-26 (and the adventure continues)

Post by Mario G »

Well everything started off great and even sailed at night on the Albermarle sound that beat us up on the 1st outting, got a late start but still made about 15nm
The second day started great got to the mouth of the Alligator river then got bite hard.... we lost the port side mast rigging.

So we droped sails and I roped off the mast with different lines and used the port side wench to make it tight. Fired up the motor that I was so happy to have gotten running very well and headed for the nearest marina. We get close to the marina and call them on the VHF to find out there just a transit marina and have no facilities to help with repair, so decide to motor on past hopeing to find a marina that could help.
We get close to the Alligator Pungo river canal and the propeller self-destructs.
Well the wind and current was with us and figuring if we could keep a starboard tack we should be fine , so back to the last marina in hope to leave it till we can find a way to do repairs. We make it back the 10nm and set to find another propeller, because we were only given the ability to stay one night. The first mate came thru after a few calls and by morning we were heading to Roanoke island for another marina to leave the boat due to running out of time.

All in all we had another three days of great sailing.. just proving half the fun is getting there.
Last edited by Mario G on Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gus

Post by Gus »

Did you check the boat before going out?
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

I did look over "Shaken Knot Stir'd" very well before starting out again, but like anything 35 yrs old, things break and what I believe what holds the spreaders on is a 9/16th dia. bolt just sheared off.
(If a fellow C-26 owner can conferm how the spreaders are held to the mast, I would be greatful)

I did climb to try to repair but I dropped the ??Bolt head?? and was unable to remove what was remaining in the mast.

We did manage 100+ nm in the time we were out there and when the wind was in our favor cruise along fairly well. meet some great peopleand have a great time. Not even the pollen that turned the water yellow seemed to matter.
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

2 outting

Post by hp18carr »

Mario

Glad to hear this cruise went a little better for you, but it only convinced me more that after my overhaul is completed a nice large inland lake will I feel accommodate me just fine. :wink: I could not help but notice in one of your photos the long fracture along the side. I'm curious as to what you may be considering as a remedy for this.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26 1980
Pandora (for now)
Gus

Post by Gus »

Glad to see you are ok! I guess we all learn from our mistakes, the first time I went out in my C-22 it almost sank. After that I replaced every bolt and nut in the boat, just to be safe.
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

I think the C-22 spoiled us, we were out in it more then a dozen times and never had problem one, even when I alone went storm chasing to see how it handed in rough conditions.

This being only the 2nd time out and in much different conditions then the safety of a lake, I think its done great.

We meet up with a couple in a more then a million dollar power crusier that stoped after blowing there third power convertor witch made our problems seem small.
we heard over the VHF radio at least a half a dozed distress calls of everything from boats that loss all mobility power to sinking and or just missing, so you always have to be aware that problems can and will happen, main thing is just don't panic.
Gus

Post by Gus »

Well, it was just the spreader, it could had been worse, like de-masting the boat or something like that.
shunt1

Post by shunt1 »

Yikes!

I have spent over $750 on new standing rigging, but never thought about the spreaders.

My mast spreaders were covered with tape at their mounts, but thanks to your warning, I opened them up for inspection.

The only thing holding the spreaders to their mounts were Cotter pins!

Those Cotter pins will be replaced with stainless steal bolts ASAP!

Thanks for the warning, since I never considered that to be a point of failure.
Gus

Post by Gus »

Mine is hold by cotter pins too, it came like that from factory.
Holiday

Post by Holiday »

My spreader bases are cups with a single bolt through the mast and the bottom of the cup. I am not sure about the size. I was afraid that if I took the boat out the compresion sleave might fall out of place. It looks smaller than 9/16". My Ensign spreaders are held with two 1/2" bolts and most people I talked to say that Pearson used these on much larger boats also.
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
slane1124

Post by slane1124 »

on my first outing, I, too, had spreader issues :( . As you can see from the photo( http://www.flickr.com/photos/14136396@N ... 283111797/ ), the spreader mount appears to be less than standard. one of my spreaders just bent downward. had to upgrade to stainless steel spreader mounts
Robbie
'76 Chrysler 22
"Sea-Shell-E"
sail # 879
www.ndipolygraphservices.com
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

I pop rivited the spreader assemblies on my C-22 and think it might be the way to go on the C-26. I know I don't feel right knowing I can't just jump aboard and sail.

I know there are marina shops there so I might have luck after I get the mast down...I think I need a balb in the anchor light anyways.

Just need to make a gin pole pin. 2 people and done on the water. I don't think things are going to get boring enough soon not to ramble on.
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

droped the mast yesterday after spending the prior night makeing a gin pole pin.

Things went well, the water was calm alittle over cast so no sun to get in our eyes when watching the top of the mast and not hot enough to break a sweat.

The spreader stud is just that , 5" double threaded 9/16 nuts

It just goes thru the mast, no internal sleaves or retainers. And this looks bent on the end that stayed up with nothing really holding it....

Yes I do feel lucky now where to find a replacement for what could be a 33 yr old stud?
sharps4590

Post by sharps4590 »

If the wrench that fit the nuts is 9/16 then the treaded rod should be 3/8's. That shouldn't be too difficult to find. You might have to buy a longer piece then cut off what you need. I believe our local farm & home store has stainless, all thread rod in the standard sizes. Good luck Mario.

Vic
There is no right way to do a wrong thing
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Here's what my spreaders looked like:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bhacurly/1 ... 361217069/

Here's the repair, from Dwyer Aluminum Mast Co.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bhacurly/1 ... 361217069/

My C-22 is much faster with the cool airfoil design!!