Page 1 of 1

How do you remove the windows?

Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:50 pm
by bryan
Hi all, I tried to pull the windows out of the C-22 recently for some cleaning and touching up but found that they wouldn't come out. I really wanted to just force them out but didn't know if I'd be able to find replacements if I broke them so I held off. I removed the screws from the window frames on the outside of the boat and thought that would do it but...nope, they wouldn't budge so at this point I'm wondering how to remove the windows. Are there two parts to the window frames one on the outside and one on the inside that snap together? Here are some pictures of the windows on my boat - both inside and outside.

Image

Image

Image

(By the way, how do I get a picture to show up right here in the forum rather than a link as above???)

Any info would be appreciated! Thanks.

Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:07 pm
by monty
I have the same problem. The sealant must be holding the frames in place. I was going to try again this spring either using some heat or pulling a piece of wire through the sealant to cut it. I am hoping to put new Lexan in but I'm worried the rubber seals are shot.
What have others done?

Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:22 pm
by Banshi
Once the screws on the outside are off gently pry the frames off. I used caulk putting mine back in but someone here used butyl tape as well. Just be careful not to bend the frames all up taking them off so you can reuse them.

windows

Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:03 pm
by hp18carr
I've yet to get to mine, but you can find a fairly in depth wright up on the removal and reinstalling of portlights on E.E. web page. Slow and easy is the way to go.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26 1980
Pandora (for now)

Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:07 pm
by EmergencyExit
When I pried EE's frames off I used one of those 12" wide tools used to smooth and trim wallpaper. On the theory that if I pried with something like a 3" inch putty knife I'd be prying over and over and thus risking bending as I went. With the longer one I could tap it in between the hull and frame and separate them with almost one pry.

Something like this one

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:35 pm
by J. Austin
The second part of the question is easy like this...

Image
I think your doing this:
Image

This is the page link not the link to the pic.
Right click on the pic and go to properties, Image

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:11 pm
by mariner
if you are looking for replacement gaskets they can be found here...http://www.mcmaster.com/

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:08 pm
by Bhacurly
Any Luck??

Doesn't look like mine at all,, I didn't have sliders, and all my screws were on the inside.

Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:05 pm
by bryan
I just bought one of those wallpaper tools that EE mentioned so I'll give it a try soon and let you know how it goes - thanks all.

Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:51 pm
by Alanhod