my mast weighs a ton

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
guyaks

my mast weighs a ton

Post by guyaks »

Hello Fellow chrysler owners and sailers.

this may sound like a dumb question....But.....how do you put your mast up?

first my mast weighs alot...and i need two people to raise it. i have to stand in the cockpit area and start lifting while a buddy of mine(wife can't do it) attaches the front winch of the boat trailer to the front wire....and he starts a cranking....while me starts a lifting....God forbid wind comes, the mast starts to go one way or another. (i do have all my wires connected before i lift...except the front one)

is it supposed to be this difficult?

is there a way i can do it solo?

is the mast supposed to be that heavy?

just asking, because i am such a beginner...

thanks again

Guy
parared

Post by parared »

Check out this helpful guide to raising the mast by Capt. Scott, a regular here.

http://www.captainscottsailing.com/SteppingTheMast.php

I also have some pictures online at

http://arclite.dyndns.org:8111/~chris/c22/index.html

showing how I made a gin pole. Instructions on how to make a bridle are around too, if you don't have one.
guyaks

Post by guyaks »

i don't know what a gin pole is or a bridle...but if it will help me....i will build one or buy one.
parared

Post by parared »

Well, a jin pole is just a pole that give you leverage when raising the mast. The bridle holds the pole and mast to the deck in a nice firm grip.

Look over this thread too,

viewtopic.php?t=1027&highlight=

from back when I first raised mine, but most of what you need to know is on Capt Scott's page.
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

You don't need a special gin pole the stock boom is designed to handle that function just fine.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
guyaks

Post by guyaks »

i don't have a stock boom, i had to make one out cedar, and i don't think it is the right strenght or size to work right
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

If you decide to step the mast solo, take a very good look at your options.
As you already know there are a lot of forces at play here. Use caution and check everything twice!

I see you've already been pointed to my page for stepping the mast!

FYI 3 people can step the mast fairly easily and fairly quickly without special tools. Two long ropes to the top of the mast. One going forward to port and one forward to starboard. 1 person in the cockpit lifting as you described. Then one person on each rope pulling evenly and slowly. The person in the cocpkit would then guide the two others. A mast hinge helps emensly. I stepped the mast once without a hinge. For the money, I'll never do that again.

Scott
J. Austin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J. Austin »

Sounds like you can kill 2 birds with one stone.
You need a boom and a gin-pole.
It maybe time to find a used boom or build one from aluminum.
There is not much to em'.
We all would give you all the dimensions you need.
Good luck.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
jerecaustin.com
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

Since I'm a trailer sailer wanabe... I like the concept of the hinged step, but I have to take the mast off each time out. Would'nt it be great - or maybe it already exists, if the hinged step had a removable hinge pin so you could lower, pull the pin and the mast would be free to tie down for transport.

Just thinkin' out loud

Paul
Tranquil Chaos
FranS

Post by FranS »

Is this what you are talking about?
http://www.rigrite.com/Spars/kenyon_spa ... _assm.html
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Yup, you called it. The hinge pin comes out of the hinge plates so you can trailer the whole rig. It's a very simple design.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Unless the OEM step is damaged the hinged step really doesn't have any advantages over the original in fact with the original you don't even have to pull a pin. You definitely need a gin pole or the boom and bridles to step alone, that said it is fairly easy once you get set up.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

With great respect to Banshi I disgree with this statement:
the hinged step really doesn't have any advantages over the original

With the hinged mast base, the mast is literally pinned to the boat in place. There is no way the mast base can pop out slip out or jump off the mast step. There is a breif time from when I slide the mast horizontally into place before raising and the time it takes to get all the lines cables or what have you's ready to actually raise the mast. It is this period that the mast can shift, slide, roll, get bumped ( I'm good for that ) or whatever. The little hook on the mast step is great when the mast is wedged in place but when the mast is free floating I have found the hook inadequate to hold the base in place.

When I pin my mast base in place using the hinge, I can walk, jump, bounce, trip over things, etc and the mast base stays put. Yes I do have to insert the pin when stepping and remove the pin when unstepping the mast however this process is so simple and well worth the security the hinge offers me.

just an FYI:

Here is the original:

Here is the hinge:

Once the mast is down, I put the pin back in place so I do not loose it! I also carry a spare pin since this hinge comes with TWO pins!
Gotta love it! LOL!

Keep in mind though if you use this hinge it will raise your mast slightly. Given all our boats are old and the rigging is very likely stretched this is usually not a problem. Just be aware if you keep your shrouds and stays tight you may want to loosen them just a tad to avoid any undue stress on your rigging.

Scott
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

" The little hook on the mast step is great when the mast is wedged in place but when the mast is free floating I have found the hook inadequate to hold the base in place. "

I solved that issue early on with a bungy cord, wrapped around the step and hooked to the halyard cleats on either side. Keeps it firmly in place and at 300 lbs, usually stepping my mast alone, I do plenty of bouncing around :) At some point i will switch but it won't be until the step degrades to the piont it appears it will fail structurally. If the hook is cracked or broken off it would be time to switch. I have stepped it enough times now though that I know it is going to stay in place.

sailbob2

Post by sailbob2 »

Been there done that, having the mast get away from me that is, no damage except for the mast finger broke. I was thinking of changing to a stainless steel mast hinge like the ones shown here, but I have a concern. There are tremendous forces (torque) at work when rasing and lowering the mast and when/if they get away from you would the mast hinge end up tearing your mast step right out? The current step is held in by screws vs bolts and will tear at the screws or, like in my case, break the finger thus reducing damage to the fiberglass? I'm not an Engineer but I know some things are designed to fail to prevent more severe damage. What ya think? I'm interested in this discussion.
mariner

some reading info

Post by mariner »

for those who do not have this info, you can download a bunch of files, photos etc. from Chrysler on how to raise the mast, there is also a guide in the owners manual. IMHO the original method works like a charm if you use the bridals.

https://download.yousendit.com/THE2TG0ySytlcEkwTVE9PQ

:wink: :wink:
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

Thanks Mariner! There were 5 pages I had not previously found in other owner's manuals! I'm beginning to understand the process. Now if I could just get the holes in the bottom of the boat plugged so it will float!!!

Paul
Tranquil Chaos