My $400 trailer

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
LeatherneckPA
Site Admin
Site Admin

My $400 trailer

Post by LeatherneckPA »

Well, I had to have a trailer to haul Freehold home from FL and from what I was seeing we are talking about spending more for the trailer than I did for the boat. Then I found this 1992 trailer with a "Buy It Now" price of only $400. After comparing it to Banshi's photos I decided this should be able to be modified to suit. First thing I'm going to do when I get it home (Monday) is remove the two center bunks and build a keel guide/bed a-la-Banshi and install that in the middle of the trailer. But here are the pics. Look it over, and then tell me what you think you might do.

I'm working on drawing a sketch of the dimensions I'd like to get from some of you that I believe will allow me to make all my mods before I even leave for FL and let Freehold float onto this trailer and ride in comfort and safety. Basically, what I have in mind is a pair of bunks set 3' off-center. I'm envisioning three vertical supports, one at each cross-member counting from the rear. So what I need to know is how far it is from the bottom of the keel to the bottom of the boat at a point 3' left and right of center. Clear? Yeah, like Gulf Coast waters! Sketch to follow, probably tonight.
Iron Mike - Semper Fidelis
Jack of all trades, Master of none
1978 C-22: Believer
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

When we hauled EE out we also had no idea of bunking measurements. So a family member devised a bunking setup that was very versatile. Pics and decription are here

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep= ... 280776&ck=

Hard to describe, basically you have 4 45 degree tubes (which can move in or out for width), and up these are bunks set on hangers which can move up and down the tubes as well closer to or farther from the tubes. Very, very adjustable. We figured we could adjust for anything from a canoe to a 26 footer.
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

First of all, well come abord. I allso retired at 51 only 12 yrars ago. Time goes by faster now. I have 3 sailboats, no wife. C-20, Mac.25, an C26. I got them all on e-bay with in a 8 mounths. All came with the works, an $6,000 for all. I was lucky to find them, all nice boats. Looking at the photos, I wonder. What is the weight limet on the trailer, looks like the springs are small for a 3,000 pond boat ??
LeatherneckPA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LeatherneckPA »

Chrysler20%26 wrote:What is the weight limet on the trailer, looks like the springs are small for a 3,000 pond boat ??
According to the seller, the trailer is rated for 4000 pounds.
trev
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by trev »

I was also wondering about the rated weight so I looked at Heritage's website and they say the single axles are rated for 3900# so you should be good.
77 C25
Myasis Dragon
http://www.svmyasisdragon.com
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Since it looks to be a steel trailer, the trailer probably weighs in a pretty hefty sum. I would bet with the boat loaded it would easily go over 4000 lbs, maybe 4500. That said these things are designed with a large safety margin. There should be a total trailer rating stamped on the trailer tongue somewhere.
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Be aware that that is a trailer for a outboard, so the axle is set back on the frame to help balance the tongue weight offset by the outboard motor.
Since the majorty of the weight on the C22 is the keel centered under the boat. If you mount your boat to far forward your tongue weight will be out of hand for the rating of the trailer and your trailer hitch. :roll:
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
LeatherneckPA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LeatherneckPA »

Capt. Bondo wrote:Since the majorty of the weight on the C22 is the keel centered under the boat. If you mount your boat to far forward your tongue weight will be out of hand for the rating of the trailer and your trailer hitch. :roll:
My plan for this trip is to try to put the center of the keel just forward of the axle, enough to get her home. I'm taking a big bathroom scale with me and am going to try to get the tongue weight between 10% and 15% of the load.

Once I get her home and have the time to really get into it I want to move the boat forward to the stop and then position two axles appropriately somewhere under the keel.

It's going to be quite a challenge and I am SO grateful to Mario for volunteering to assist me in this endeavour. It's going to be quite an undertaking.
2nd generation

Post by 2nd generation »

One thing to think about before you are in Florida. If you are going to float it on the trailer you may need some type of extension for the tounge. I have an original Chyrsler trailer with about a 10' extension and have needed it every ramp I have used. If you are using a steep launch ramp or having it set on with a hoist you may be OK.

Just a thought.( I try not to have those to often)
Mike
(former owner of) 1975 C-22 "Mel-O"
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

By the way, your trip to St.Petersburg will take you within 1 mile of me if you take US 301 across the state and you are welcome to come by and take a first hand look at the trailer.
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

P.S. I have a mid 80's Honda 7.5 hp 4 stroke that I just put a new water pump impeller in that runs great. I bought a new motor so this one is looking for a good home. 250.00 if you are interested.
LeatherneckPA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LeatherneckPA »

Banshi wrote:P.S. I have a mid 80's Honda 7.5 hp 4 stroke that I just put a new water pump impeller in that runs great. I bought a new motor so this one is looking for a good home. 250.00 if you are interested.
SOLD!! Thank you very much.

I generally get off somewhere like the 2nd exit into FL and take 200/A1A over to 301. Then take 301 all the way to Ocala and then I-75 down to sun City Center where Mom lives. Don't tell me you are on Lochloosa? I've been driving past it and admiring it for the past 15 years since my folks moved down there.
FranS

Post by FranS »

2nd generation wrote:One thing to think about before you are in Florida. If you are going to float it on the trailer you may need some type of extension for the tounge. I have an original Chyrsler trailer with about a 10' extension and have needed it every ramp I have used. If you are using a steep launch ramp or having it set on with a hoist you may be OK.

Just a thought.( I try not to have those to often)
We always used a tow strap attached to the front of the trailer and looped around the hitch to get the extra depth we needed. Once we got the boat far enough out of the water on the ramp we would chock the wheels, remove the strap and attach the trailer dircetly to the hitch. A word of warning, without the weight of the truck holding down the tounge the bow could have a tendency to tip up. Ask me how I know this. Someone should walk along side the the trailer with a hand on the upright and all is well.
LeatherneckPA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LeatherneckPA »

I was under the impression that the center of gravity of the boat should be slightly forward of the balance point (in this case the wheels) because to trailer properly you want about 10% of the weight as a tongue weight.

Like the idea of a "two strap extension".
2nd generation

Post by 2nd generation »

On the original Chrysler trailer measured from the back of the keel to the center of the axle is 32"
Mike
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Mine goes in comes out no problem even at some of the shallower ramps I have gone too, I credit this at least partially to getting the boat as low on the trailer as possible and the low profile of the trailer with torsion axles and no springs. I do have to get the rear tires of my truck right at the waters edge :)
LeatherneckPA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LeatherneckPA »

2nd generation wrote:On the original Chrysler trailer measured from the back of the keel to the center of the axle is 32"
Mike, forgive me. I don't understand. Is that from the back of the keel backward to the axle, or is it from the back of the keel forward to the axle. In the first case that means the entire keel would actually be forward of the axle. In the second case the keel would be above the axle, with the majority of it forward of the axle.
2nd generation

Post by 2nd generation »

Sorry I thought you could see the picture in my head.

It is with the keel over the axle.
Mike
trev
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by trev »

Here is some photos of the factory trailer? Let me know if you need any measurements from it.

These are very large photos.
77 C25
Myasis Dragon
http://www.svmyasisdragon.com
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Chrysler20%26

C-20 an C22 tailers

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

From looking at the Photos, I would say that bouth the C-20 an C-22 could use the same trailer.
LeatherneckPA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LeatherneckPA »

I'm assuming that people would rather have a reply posted here than a new thread started for an update.

Drove out to Columbus OH yesterday to pick up the trailer. When I got there the seller told me the trailer jack "fell off" on the drive over there from IL? Bearings were greased but had no caps. Lights worked, except for the right turn signal. But since the truck light still worked and there was no boat blocking it so I "figured what the hey". I gave the guy $200 to drive it halfway from IL for me. He told me it wouldn't cover his gas and that he wanted $1.25 per mile. WHAT!!?? That would be $837.50. No way! I thought about it all the way home. I had the trailer and the title. I could just say "Sorry Charlie". But I wanted to find a solution that would be fair to both of us. So I sent him another $200 today with a letter of explanation. It would have only cost me $310 to pick it up in IL myself, including an overnight stay in a motel. All totaled he got the full $400 he wanted for the trailer, and then he doubled that by driving halfway.

Today I went into town and swapped the title and plates over to my name. Then I went to the local marine supply shop (powerboats for the river). They told me I had to get a 6" drop for my receiver because I was towing too high. I bought that plus a tongue jack, a spare tire carrier, a spare tire, bearing covers, and a complete set of LED lights plus the wiring kit. When I got home I actually backed the trailer down the driveway successfully on only the third attempt!! I'm bragging a little since I have never backed a trailer before this one. Out in OH I had to unhitch the trailer and lug it to where I wanted to turn around, then re-hitch it to get turned around. Once in the driveway I bolted on the new tongue jack and the spare carrier w/spare. I currently don't have any shade to work in so it's too bloody hot to do more right now.

PM's sent to both Mario G and Banshi with my cell phone number. Oooh, should probably do one to Trev too.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Sounds like you are well on your way to retrieving your boat!
NICE!

If you pass through Washington state, drop in and say hi!

Scott
skyking

Post by skyking »

Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
LeatherneckPA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LeatherneckPA »

Well, it cooled off this evening and so rather than watch American Idol I went out and played with my trailer. (My wife thinks I need to get my priorities straight. I think they already are.)

I got some nice sketches from trev and printed them out on one sheet to compare to my trailer. I think my axle is going to end up in a good place. I moved my winch/forward stop toward the front of the trailer as far as it would go. I think it will leave me with 2 or 3 feet hanging in the air out back.

I also took the current bunks off. My plan to build a keel bed a la Banshi is going to work perfectly for this trailer. And I think I have been over-thinking the supports. I'm going to run my plan past the metal shop tomorrow morning.

Here's a sketch of my measurements that I asked Banshi to run against his trailer. Then I found I had trev's sketches and I'm pretty close to the OEM measurements.

More tomorrow after I see the metal shop.
LeatherneckPA
Site Admin
Site Admin

support brackets

Post by LeatherneckPA »

I got the trailer back from the metal shop yesterday. I am pretty pleased with what I believe will be a good system. It's simple enough that I think we can load the boat and haul it, check to see if we like the way it sits, and if not we can float it again and quickly make the necessary adjustments. The pictures describe what we came up with better than I can.

And while they had it there I asked them to extend the neck of my winch up to three feet.

I've got the complete re-wiring kit, but doubt that I have time to do that before I travel.
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22