Discouraged and considering getting rid of the boat!

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
manopeace

Discouraged and considering getting rid of the boat!

Post by manopeace »

Just tried to have the maiden voyage in IA of my newly acquired '74 Manowar. While backing the boat down the launch ramp with the rudder on, it caught on the ramp and completely pulled the rudder and mounting plate off the back of the boat! I was amazed at how the rudder plate was attached--only 4 screws with nuts and rubber gaskets/washers holding them in place. No metal plate on the inside--only rubber. I am surprised it didn't pull off earlier in its life. Unfortunately the rear of the boat is a sealed compartment and I have no idea how to even start to fix it. It looks like a huge undertaking. I am soliciting advice from all you Chrysler sailors. I don't know if the boat is worth the time and effort to fix.
Todd T.

'74 Man'O'War owner
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Ouch. Not too familiar with the Man-O-War, but is there room to cut an access port that would let you get to the area ?

I can understand how you feel a bit - I broke the beautiful mahogany ply rudder on a Cal 21 doiung just about the same thing..
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

Let me think out loud about how I would approach this, especially if you want metal inside the hull.
1) Cut a square out about 1.5" larger all around than your current bolt holes.
2) Get 2 pieces of 1/4" aluminum 6" longer than your hole and 1/2 the heigth.
3) Hold the top piece of alumimum in place inside the hole and drill each side of the hole to accept 1/4" machine screws. Counter sink the hull to make the screw heads flat with the surface.
4) Remove the top aluminum piece and repeat with the bottom piece.
5) Roughen the ends of your aluminum pieces and use epoxy to glue them. Use the 1/4" flathead machine screws to hold them in place.
6) Fair the edges of the hole and use 10 oz woven glass mat to bring the area of the hole back to level with the rest of the transom. Sand and apply gel coat.
7) You can now drill through the fiberglass and aluminum at the locations of your mounting points and tap the aluminum for threads. You are using aluminum so don't overtorque because the threads can be stripped.

I wish you the best with this. Others may have better solutions - as I said, I am just thinking outloud.
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Paul

Use this as an excuse to move up to a bigger sailboat... say a c20 or a c22. :wink:

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26 1980
Pandora (for now)
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

By a round or square watertight inspection port and install near transom to
do the repair work and then use the space for storage. They make small storage bags to go with some of the round inspection ports that will keep stored items from sliding around. I added 2 on my sunfish to do repairs and for storage.
http://search.defender.com/search.aspx? ... rt&x=0&y=0
clair hofmann

Post by clair hofmann »

I just did the same thing as Banshi on a Sunfish. I had to replace the handle on the deck at the bow. I used a 4 " hole saw, (available in a set from Harbor Freight) and caulked and screwed an access cover I got at the consignment shop for 2.00. Through that hole I was able to put a sufficient backing in and through bolt the new handle. I did have to cut away a little styrofoam flotation. Your Manowar is probably similar.
Clair
manopeace

repair ideas

Post by manopeace »

Thanks to all who responded. The access port sounds reasonably doable. I would probably then epoxy a piece of aluminum inside, patch the outer holes and drill through everything and bolt it together. Don't know how long this would take. The sailing season in IA could be coming to a close in the near future.
Todd T.

'74 Man'O'War owner
Anhinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Anhinga »

Inspection ports are the cats, umm... whiskers! West Marine calls them ABS Deck Plates. I use one on my iceboat to store tools in the watertight compartment and keep it watertight! A 4" to 6" port likely costs less than a twenty and well- bedded will keep the water out as the cover has an o-ring in it. They like to be mounted on a flat surface though so watch for that. Now about the gudgeon attachment, I would back it with regular plywood and SS screws. You want the failure point to be a screw pulling out if it gets caught again. If it was backed with aluminum and bolts it could have opened a substantial hole in the transom or made some other ugly mess.

Don't give in, fixing boats is what makes them our own! I did a job like this on an AMF Apollo and it took an afternoon.

Best!

Jim
C26 -Anhinga
Leeway

Post by Leeway »

Been there, done that...

Go to the following thread for how I did it. The inspection portal is the way to go.

http://www.chryslersailors.com/discussi ... highlight=
Lee Hoeppner
Boat: C-15 Man-o-War
Name: Sea'chele
Year: Pre-1973
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
manopeace

Got it Fixed!

Post by manopeace »

Thanks to all for the encouragement and advice on fixing my Manowar. I ordered a 6" access port online and with fear and trepidation cut a hole with my jigsaw on the aft deck of the boat. Once I got inside I discovered the marine plywood was mostly rotted. I took a Dremel and cut around the thin layer of fiberglass over the plywood. It just peeled right off due to the rot. I then painted on a wood hardener to the remaining plywood after scraping off the rotted wood. I then used some wood filler to fill in the void areas and then epoxied a piece of composite decking on. I had a piece left over after re-doing my deck several yrs ago. I figured this would not rot like the plywood. I then got new stainless bolts, washers and locknuts and reattached the gudgeon. Oh, I also replaced the original drainplug with an expandable rubber plug as it leaked badly. Finally had my maiden voyage last Friday in very gusty winds. I think I have found a name for my boat---The Tenesmus. This is a medical term for a painful bowel movement. Quite fitting given the recent hassles in repairing it.
Todd T.

'74 Man'O'War owner
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Congratulations on getting her in the water! Everyone gets to go through SOME pain with older boats! Glad you are working through your tenesmus! LOL!

With care and basic maintainance you'll not have to experience such a thing in the near furture! LOL!

Photos? ;)

Scott
sharps4590

Post by sharps4590 »

mano, good on you for not givin' up! Ain't this forum and these guys just great! I don't know what I would have done without them a couple times.

Now, git out there an' sail that boat a'fore the frost comes! Ya gots some days left!

Vic
There is no right way to do a wrong thing
LeatherneckPA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LeatherneckPA »

Tenesmus!!! I LOVE IT!!

Now I just have to figure out how to work my vocab word into a conversation!

Trust me mano, a few more sails and you're going to be completely over that little hiccup and singing the praises of your little boat.
Iron Mike - Semper Fidelis
Jack of all trades, Master of none
1978 C-22: Believer
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing