Windward relaunched

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Windward

Windward relaunched

Post by Windward »

Got her back in the drink and motored to her slip just before sundown on Monday. As it turns out, I asserted "no carnage" too soon:

Several of the welds cracked on the rudder reinforcements from 2008 -- no impact while coastal, and I suspect the forces of aggressive surfing are responsible. I had them repaired prior to launching. This makes three strikes for the rudder, so much as I hate to I probably need to bump having a new one fabricated up in the queue.

The aft mini-bulkhead where the port settee meets the hull has some cracking. I already had to rebuild the starboard side, as well as the one in the v-berth, so no major surprise there.

I also noticed that the forward outboard edge of the mini-bulkhead I built to make the galley locker separated from the hull. Obviously my prep was not up to snuff when I epoxied that into place. When I look closely I can see that the trailer bunks actually compress the hull a bit, causing the area just below the chines to bulge outward. I'm pretty sure it was this force that caused the bulkhead separation. The other side of the joint is intact, and 2/3 of the afflicted side is still attached, so since that's additional reinforcement I added I probably won't sweat repair until later, unless I develop a strong urge to stick my head in the bilge and use the power sander to make fiberglass dust.

Beyond that, I did have problems with the stove's forward (right-hand) burner venting unburned alcohol. I'm pretty confident I did the rebuild correctly -- it ain't hard, and the other burner works great -- but after discussing it with Kenyon I'll need to remove and inspect the burner body itself for cracks.
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

Jeff do you think it was the trailer ride that did most of the seperation? I'd say age was the rudder's problem but I've watched you sail,so know better :lol:

I know with working on Don't Wake Me's bulk head that things were skeewed while sitting on the trailer.

Let me know if you need something fabricated,
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Well, at least you have something to do this winter!!!

Still sounds like you had a great trip!
Scott
tgentry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tgentry »

I can attest to trailer compression. My upper most hatch board, which is always a little tight, is tighter when on the trailer.
Tom
1981 Endeavour 43 s/v Pearl Lee
Former 1976 Columbia Payne 9.6 s/v Gin Rhumby
Former 1979 Chrysler 26, s/v Copacetic
http://www.asswhaffleyachtclub.net
http://www.svpearllee.com
sailbob2

Post by sailbob2 »

Second that - about compression - while on the trailer made some supports for the bridge deck while CRYSTA was in the barn and when she was in the water the supports ended up being to short to support the deck. Deflection appears to be about a 1/4 inch or so.
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Hmmmm

I've been wondering about this kinda thing with my project boat. It's been on the trailer for years. I'm wondering if I should do the minimun stuff to the interior and then get it on the water next summer and let it take shape. Otherwise I'm afraid the trim will warp as it settles in and other measurements will be skewed...

Billy