poli glow

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
mariner

poli glow

Post by mariner »

I have used poli-glow and it is great, I love it! I remember reading a practical sailor review of these types of products and this one was the best of them. After two seasons I have no issues, this past season the product wore off on the top sides, so I'm going to clean and reapply it. If anyone wants to read it PM me and i'll send it over.

http://www.poliglow-int.com/
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
John K

Post by John K »

Mine came with it applied to the hull only, and I intend to keep using it for sure. For the folks with faded gelcoat, and don't want to paint, it's a major improvement. My boat has the original gelcoat, and here it is with a year old application of poliglow. You can really see the depth of color and reflection.

1977 C22: Dog House
Beady
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beady »

I was looking at something for the gel coat. Is it hard to apply?
Brian Eady
77 C-22
Sail La Vie
mariner

Post by mariner »

Like paint, all the work is in the prep work....cleaning... The application is fast and easy, the results are great! Just check out the web site and follow the directions.... Piece of cake... And you don't have to train for karate! Wax on wax off !
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

I thought about PG and even bought it at the boat show, I scrubbed , compunded and waxed my good condition ( but dirty ,faded) gel coat with no success, I could not get it white...

I struggled to get it white and shiny

Until... I realized the OEM color was NOT white.... My boat with the factory red cove stripe had a factory off white or almond tinted top sides , so I also heard that application of PG would make it harder to prep for paint in the future ao I would up painting a two -part gloss white with a navy blue cove strip...
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
mariner

Post by mariner »

NYCsailor that is the best story I heard in a long time lol!
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
TravisJ

Re: poli glow

Post by TravisJ »

mariner wrote:I have used poli-glow and it is great, I love it! I remember reading a practical sailor review of these types of products and this one was the best of them. After two seasons I have no issues, this past season the product wore off on the top sides, so I'm going to clean and reapply it. If anyone wants to read it PM me and i'll send it over.

http://www.poliglow-int.com/
You're the man mariner!

It took about 6 hours, alot of scrubbing with the Poly Prep, then 6 coats of Poly Glow. I only did the hull. I'll have to do the deck next. I used about 2/3 of the bottle of Poly Prep, and with 6 coats to the hull, from the water line up, used about 1/2 the bottle of Poly Glow. It's like I have a brand new boat!

Click the thumbnails for full size photos:

Before:

After:
1991 Capri 26 "Mari Sol"
1976 Chrysler 22 "Evening Star"

Commodore, Lynn Creek Yacht Club
Lake Joe Pool, Grand Prairie, TX
Beady
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beady »

Travis:

Were you able to apply this with the boat in the water? Wow if so I will order some on Monday.
Brian Eady
77 C-22
Sail La Vie
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Have any of you "re-applied" the poly glow?

I'm very curious as to the long term use of it. What happens two years from now when you need to reapply? Is it a matter of clean and reapply? do you have to get the old coat off first?

The blue hull looks fabulous! I love the reflection of the fender!

I've already decided I was going to try a wet sanding of Forplay and see if I can get her to shine on her own gelcoat again. maybe even see if I can convince Alan it is a learning chance and he should rush over with some sandpaper and strong arms! LOL!

So, what is the longer term thoughts on Poly glow? Anyone?

Thanks
Scott
TravisJ

Post by TravisJ »

I did it with the boat in the slip. The applicator has a screw attachment where you can screw in a broom/mop handle.

I don't think you need to sand it. The kit comes with a big scratch pad to use with the Poly Prep.

The bottle says you can us soap & water on it to clean it. Just nothing amonia based. It said to put an extra 2 coats on at least once every 12 months. There's a guy in our club that did his San Juan 28 a few years ago and has never gone back and it still shines.
1991 Capri 26 "Mari Sol"
1976 Chrysler 22 "Evening Star"

Commodore, Lynn Creek Yacht Club
Lake Joe Pool, Grand Prairie, TX
John K

Post by John K »

Scot, they say you can do many applications over and over. They do sell an aerosol stripper though. Spray on, wipe off.
mariner

Post by mariner »

I've had mine on the hull and deck for two years, the hull still looks great, i may put another coat on this year, the deck ( not the grip surface ) the cabin sides, show some wear, I'll use the poly prep and reapply, I'll let you guys know how it works out. From what I understand aged gelcoat essentially is porous and dirt builds up in the pores as well as breaks down. You have to clean the crap up and get it off, the polyglow cleaner and heavy paste cleaner (rubbing compound) do a great job. The polyglot then seals the gelcoat. I'm sold on the product, it's amazing how little of it you actually use. I think practical sailor did a write up on polymer gel coat sealers a while back, polyglow worked better and lasted longer than the rest. I think I have a .PDF somewhere if anyone wants to read it. Let me know. :D
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
John K

Post by John K »

John K

Post by John K »

John K

Post by John K »

Quick re-application. Three years in since the first.
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

Painted my boat bright white... now is the time for spring cleaning... what is the best way to clean and polish and preserve a painted topside ? it is in great condition...just don't want to dull it, but keep it shiny... wax it ?
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

John K...what is on the bottom of your boat?? Just the original gelcoat?
Bill
John K

Post by John K »

No, it's copper ablative that's been on there a while. The Mississippi and Louisiana lakes have been kind to it.
John K

Post by John K »

NYC, I would wax it for as long as that will take you. This poli glow and it's equivalents are for faded, or "chalky" gelcoat.