My C-22 a 1976 or 1977? Enquiring Minds Need to Know!

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

My C-22 a 1976 or 1977? Enquiring Minds Need to Know!

Post by Alanhod »

Last edited by Alanhod on Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
skyking

Post by skyking »

Alan,,

If I ever need a Private Investigator...your going to be my first call :lol:

It all sounds logical to me...
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Alan you decoded correct and my C-26 was built in August 1980 possibly one of the last built and as yours it has all the options available and I am the 3rd owner and I wish I had copied the paperwork when I got it because the second owner never registered the boat and I found original owners name on the Lizards site(thank you Jeff) I am glad it is still up. Original owner moved but had it in Hyde Park NY until the person I bought it from got a trailer and picked it up in 2000. I have no idea how long Cory had it without going in the water but I do know the person I got her from used her 1 season and only took her out 3 times and she sat for 7 years and he never sailed her. As far as I can tell my boat was never out of New York until I sailed her out of state it was sold at a dealer in Hyde Park and even wiring was original. the only thing I could see different was original owner added a through hull for sink drain and a battery guage and switch and bilge pump which all could have been dealer installed if the dealer was still open I was going to inquire about it. I wonder if I can get hold of Chrysler and get the Diesel and sail drive they said was in it.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Man I wish I new the trail of owners back to the original purchaser like you do. That would be valuable to me I think just knowing where my boat has been and it's history prior to me and the last owner.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

skyking wrote:Alan,,

If I ever need a Private Investigator...your going to be my first call :lol:

It all sounds logical to me...
Well maybe if you need someone with imagination more so then a "Private Investigator." The facts I came up with are true. The reason behind the facts is purely a WAG. (Wild A%% Guess) hoping someone else had the real story. :lol:

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
Windward

Post by Windward »

Echo that. I would love to know what Windward was up to before I got her. The guy at work I bought her from didn't know, except that he bought her from someone who brought her from the coast and did some refurbishing on her.

Funny thing about sail numbers: Windward is a 1978 swing keel boat, with sail number 481, and apparently was on the coast in VA, NC or SC (I think) for a while. A buddy of mine at the same dock bought a fixed keel C26 that was brought to our lake from Maine, I think also a 1978 but not sure. His sail number is 480.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Ditto here. EE's past is a bit murky as well. She had a faded name on her when she found us after being abandoned for some time at a marina (her not us), and when I was compounding the hull I found the outline of another name scratched in the gel coat...Found a small plate aboard that signified a 1980 Lake Ponchartrain regatta, so guessing she was always down there since new...
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

My original sail # was 1100 I don't know if that means anything as since they were first built in 1977 for the C-26 that would mean they would have to average above 1 per day 7 days a week 1100 divided by 3 equals 366.666.
Just my 2 cents another 98 and I would have a dollar.
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
excavman

Post by excavman »

Alan,

The first five digits of my serial # are 333GK< I guess that refers to the model #. The date on the hull stamping is M78B. That would make it built in Sept. 78 but it's titled as a 1977. Sail # is 1579.

Larry
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

I don't know about other states but in NY you can get a history and like anything else in the state you PAY.
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

excavman wrote:Alan,

The first five digits of my serial # are XXXGK< I guess that refers to the model #. The date on the hull stamping is M78B. That would make it built in Sept. 78 but it's titled as a 1977. Sail # is 1579.

Larry
Well that just blows my theory completely out of the water. Back to the drawing board on making up a new tail of Chrysler birth dates. :? Honestly that is exactly what I was looking for. Another boat with the same linage but a completely different Hull month then mine.

You know it would make more sense if the Hulls were older then the titles. You know make a bunch of hulls and the sit in the yard till you need then. Then build the boat and title them when they are done. But now my boat has a title that is at least 7 months newer then the hull. And now Larry's boat is at least 9 months newer then the Hull. :shock:

No wait, my first theory could still be good. Larry's boat, the same as mine has all the options. Again a custom order but Chrysler was back logged on the special orders and as I see Larry's boat has the Robins egg Blue color with white stripes. That had to be a custom hull. You don't see that every day. His hull was not a hull they could just pull out of the yard, plane white hulls with blue stripes like my hull would have been ready to go sooner then the custom paint jobs.. :D

Yea that's the ticket. Sure it could have gone that way. Okay I'm reaching here folks. Any other hulls that out there with this Title a year newer then there hull?

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Alan I think your theory is probably right on as it might have been issued a serial on purchase but USCG requires build date to be manufacture month and date. The blue was another combination I believe as the color is gel coat sprayed in the mold as building starts.
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
SN691
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SN691 »

My model no is cbcxxxxxm79c and sail no is 691. On the title is says year built 1978 and year model 1979. I don't know when he ordered the boat, It has bugundy hull and beige top. I am the second owner and have known the original owner sence 1972. So I know the history of the boat.
Bob

1979 C-26

Easy Street

~~~_/)~~~
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

So now we have evidence of 3 boats who's titles are a year newer then the hull Years.

One 1976 with a hull in July 1977
One 1977 with a hull in September 1978
One 1978 with a hull in October 1979

All three appear to possibly be special orders with lots if not all the options and 2 of the 3 have special colors in the hull. I'm thinking a pattern is backing up my theory.

Any more boats with the Title year different then the Hull year out there. So far we've not seen a Hull year newer then the Title year.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22