Hull blisters

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
back2class

Hull blisters

Post by back2class »

Got a bunch of em. 100-200 over the hull of my 22 I am guessing. Tiny to about 1/2". None seem to be popping off and I assume they have been there a while. Any reason to do anything about it? Can't imagine it will effect spped on a 3,000lb. sailboat with 200sf of sail...lol!

Thanks
c-22
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

First thing I would do is take a good count of them and measure the size of several of them along with taking pictures of what you do.

Then I'd watch extremely carefully over time to see if they increase in size or count. If either size or count increase at all then I'd take a serious look at repair. If nothing changes over time, I'd ignore them.

Without to much detail, repair includes grinding them out, thoroughly drying the hull, patching the damage, and the barrier coating the bottom along with all proper and necessary prep work for that.

I used to own an Endeavour 32. She had a few blisters on her bottom and I was given the same advice. We owned her for 5 + years. Sold her with the same blisters and same advice. They never grew or icreased in numbers so we did nothing to them. New new owner as of 6+ years ago, has done nothing to them and he has not had an issue.

Keep in mind, 1-2 hundered is a lot on a 22'er. Watch them VERY closely for change.

That is just my two bits.

Scott