Speaking of boat capacity

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Speaking of boat capacity

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Speaking of boat capacity... does anyone have a capacity label on there boat (back of cockpit) that can be read?
My C22 has the label, but the type has long since rubbed off.
It would be great if folks could post pictures of the label for the various Chrysler models for the rest us to reference.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

I don't know the capacity of the 22 but I did see a picture of some guy who had about 25 people on his C22. He was not sailing and he did have a disclaimer about it...just was showing how good he thought the boat was as to being overbuilt.
Bill
J. Austin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J. Austin »

I'll check, but I don't think mine is legible either.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
jerecaustin.com
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

I looked at the original sales brochures. They advertize it's for a family of five, a 2 - 3 person racing crew.... Consistently they show four adults above deck in their pictures. There are, however, no weights or number of occupants mentioned in the specification parts of the literature.
Tranquil Chaos
Windward

Post by Windward »

Windward's a 26, but I'll check her barely-legible plate this weekend. I'm pretty sure the spec is 1600# for crew, 1800# total payload including motor, stores, etc, but I may have it wrong. 1600# of crew would be a whole lot... depending upon the mix and size, could be 10 people. No clue where you'd put 'em all.
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Okay this is the Capacity Information (Plate) in the stern cockpit of my C-22.

I took this photo back in the summer of 2008.

I looked at this plate again today 3/29/2011 and it was not even as clear as this photo.

I used some graphic software and my best resolution monitor. I tweaked and tweaked sharpened, increased contrast and enlarged and this is what this plate says. Well I'm 99% sure that is what it says based on my manipulations that is.

Capacity Information
Motor Max HP = 10
Persons Capacity (Pounds) = 1200
Maximum Weight Capacity
Persons Motor and Gear (Pounds) = 1340
Manufacturer: CHRYSLER Boat Corporation Plaino Texas
Model: 333
Design Compliance With The Following BIA Certification Requirements Is Verified
Load And H.P. Capacity * Basic Flotation
Compartment Ventilation
Certified BIA Boating Industry Association

This is the manipulated photo, you will need to enlarge it yourself to read it though and have a good resolution to see it.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Correct me if I'm wrong based on my Photo analysis and manipulations above.

1200 lbs of people is the maximum.

So, 1340 lbs of People and Gear combined or subtract the people off and that would leave 140 lbs of gear including motor.

My motor weighs in at 85 lbs.
Gas Tank and 6 gallons of Gas Approx. 42 lbs.
Anchor and chain for the anchor and rope for anchor maybe 30 lbs.

Fire extinguisher, PFD's, paddles, blow up dingy, tools, generic sailing books, junk, etc. say another 100 lbs.

+100
-------
257 lbs of stuff/gear+motor

So 1340 lbs Max Capacity minus say round to 260 lbs. = 1080 lbs for people.

I'm going to calculate the average Extra Large sized Chrysler sailor at 220 lbs and the Medium sized Chrysler sailor at at say 160 lbs.

You could get a 50/50 mix of Extra Large and Medium sized Chrysler sailor would be say 3 extra large + 3 medium = 1140 lbs

So this would mean 5 people would be a best guess of safe people load capacity.

But only if at least one of the 5 people was in the medium category of weight.

If you were to toss in the Extra Extra Large Chrysler Sailor of 303 lbs that I was when I bought the boat in 2008 then 3 at maximum with there lunch, snacks and beverages! :oops: :shock: :lol:

I'm down to 228 lbs now, so I'm only claiming to be a Extra Large Chrysler Sailor now in 2011. I refuse however to go down to the Medium sized Chrysler Sailor level of 160 lbs though.

So over all, I'm going to set my people load maximum at 4 Chrysler Sailors on my C-22 at any given time... Unless one of them is a mini-me, then I could go to 5 Chrysler Sailors at maximum. 8)

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Even on my C-26 4 or 5 is plenty otherwise you are tripping over each other and you can't sail that way and I don't got no stinkin power boat.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Checking my log sheet, I have had 4 people on my C-22 at one time.

1 Extra Extra Large sized Chrysler sailor
2 Extra Large sized Chrysler sailor
1 Medium sized Chrysler sailor

The people load would have been about 880 lbs plus my estimated 260 lbs of motor and assorted must have gear on board would have totaled about 1140 lbs. This would put me 200 lbs below the stated maximum.

Also my boat handled really well. It had a good balance and I got up to some fine speeds of 6 plus knots and a 20 degree plus heel. Two people in the cockpit, one person in the cabin at the dinette facing forward, one person on the deck next to the mast being rail meat. Didn't feel bad at all, quite the reverse, stable, smooth.

However I do remember when we were healed over real far for someone moving around quickly without notice did cause a little excitement but nothing scary. More heel was that outcome and stuff falling on the deck in the cabin.

One of the Extra Large sized Chrysler sailor did get sea sick, the other Extra Large sized Chrysler sailor lost his hat.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

I'm inclined to agree with Lecker68... even on a C26 4 to 5 adults is most likely the max for an enjoyable sail. No disrespect for the C22, but how do you manage with so little room? Like I've got room to talk... most of the C22's on this forum are or soon will be back into the water, while I'm still in my backyard with no splash time in sight. :wink:

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
Windward

Post by Windward »

I shudder to think of the total weight of all the gear on Windward. I may need to get a haircut and trim my nails before I get aboard again so I can stay within the rated max.

The C26 is reported to sink 1" for every 635 pounds added to her. I may measure my bow and stern height off the water and compare with a couple of lightly loaded C26s at the dock to get an estimate.
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

I'll second that windward!:lol: You guys should see Windward, She's an extra nice boat and one of the most modified gals you'll see. She'd compete with Kevin cosners boat in water world :D, Makes my poor 'ol 22 look naked. :shock:
1977 Chrysler 22
Ground to windward is dearly bought, but easly spent.
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

For the curious... stop by Jeff's web page and see a lot of photos, from where it was to where it is today. Amazing to think he has stated it all started with just $500.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Well, maybe I'm operating on the edge with 4 people on board and did not know it. :?

My C-22 Cockpit seats 4 adults fairly comfortably. There would be no room to add a 5th person in the cockpit too. Four people is the maximum I've taken out and we had a good day in a heavy wind and sea, reefed main sail.

The person below had it to them self. One person on the fore deck not due to space but he wanted to be there. Two people in the cockpit, one on each side.

I'm not planning on 5 people unless they are on the small side. Then yes I think moving room would get a bit tight but do-able.

After reading everyone else's account I'm thinking I will not add that 5th person to be on the safe side. However I will stick to my 4 person level as well within my safe load range. That's without extra gear, like another 200 lbs of camping gear.

Perhaps I am under estimating my gear load at 260 lbs. I will take the scale out to the driveway and do a more through estimate. It's 95% safety and basic boat gear and some maintenance supply's.

As I'm sure you've all read my story of the first sailing I did across Puget Sound. The estimate was that I had 1000 lbs of sea life on the fouled bottom and did not know it. The Previous owner had the receipts for having to boats bottom cleaned every year by a diver.

I also had me and another guy my size on board. It quickly became clear the bottom was fowled once we were under way but I'd never sailed a Chrysler before so I did not know how it should feel when it was right.

That day my boat had to be hauling 1000 lbs in sea life, 550 lbs in people, 260 lbs in gear including motor. That's 1810 lbs all told. Now clearly an extra 1000 lbs below the water line made for a real stable boat that was hard to tack even in a strong breeze.

Now that trip causes me more annexed now due to the weight then the motor dieing mid-channel in the shipping lanes. :cry: Makes me even more ticked about the diver who charged to clean the bottom but did not. I never considered the jerk had put our lives in danger before now.

That's an estimated 470 lbs over the Maximum safe load capacity. Almost a quarter ton. :x Scary! :evil:

I'm always very grateful for all of your insights into these boats and sailing in general. You all make me a better sailor and clearly there is always room for improvement, for me anyway. :D

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
Andiron120
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Andiron120 »

I, myself am 6' 4" and weigh in a bit over 250, my usual sailing buddy is large, somewhere over 325, and over 6' 6". We have had my C 22 out with at least three other average sized adults aboard many times with no problems at all. Although when the breeze got up enough to fly the storm jib, we did have to move the big fellow down into the cabin. All in all, as long as you keep it within reason, the limiting factor is the amount of room in the cockpit.
"I feel no need to go anywhere the ice gets larger than will fit in my glass"
RedCanyon

@ Windward

Post by RedCanyon »

Relax, I once took out 17 (yes, seventeen) adults (well, college students, not what you could really call "adults") on Red Canyon.

Of course, I was only able to tack by heading up, then backwinding in the opposite direction, and then proceeding. I will readily admit that the handling is considerably different than I'm generally used to!

Wait .... is that too many?

Keith
S/V Red Canyon
1978 C-26 #793
Colorado Springs / Lake Mendota, WI
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Wow, 17 people on a C-22. That must have been cozy. Kind of like, how many college students can you fit in a phone booth or a VW Bug trick. :lol:

But serious, that would freak me out that many folks even on a C-26.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Ditto Alan I like people but thats not for me.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/