Mast Confusion

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mast Confusion

Post by Bhacurly »

sauerleigh

Post by sauerleigh »

It might be possible that a previous owner switched to a tall rig. The tube on my C26 measures 29' 3" so I would consider 28' 9" a tall rig for a 22 footer.
1978 Chrysler 26 "Maudie Kay"
1984 Catalina 25 "REDUX" (rebuild)
It's better late than never
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

Seems someone special ordered the mast or did the ol' switch-a-roo on ya. I went thru the same thing a while back tring to get some numbers to work with. My problem was the in reverse, my sail measured under the posted diamentions by a foot and a half, so the search was on. I was able to measure a sail close by and got a couple dimentions off the board and came to the conslusion that my sail had been cut in the past. As I recall my mast is just a little over 26 feet, it's a 77 model.
It's a real pain in the you know what, but I would step the mast, hoist the main and see what you have. Sails cost too much to chance it.
Hate to end with a sad note but, I had to ask for a refund on my sail order from Kelly Hansen sails due to a hugh delay in getting the sail. Seems they decided to revamp the entire sail producing procedure shortly after taking my order. Ordered in Oct2010 and they couldn't tell me where the sail was or could be expected to be untill today.
I thought they were going to provide me with a nice sail and maby they adventualy would have but 6 months, Like boomer says, COME ON MAN!
I hate to knock on Kelly Hansen sails, but they have not done right by me. I spoke directly to the owner and he tried to smooth things over and was very nice about it. That still don't put a new sail on my mast. :x
1977 Chrysler 22
Ground to windward is dearly bought, but easly spent.
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

according to your plate you are before the 33152 at 33035.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Ohhh,,

Never mind :oops:

Right now after stewing it over, we plan on launching this weekend with the old main on, and measuring the boom length again to see how much room I really have...

I bought my storm sail from them and it was solid, quick delivery no problems. I'll still shop around some for price tho...
Last edited by Bhacurly on Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Hey Bill,

I thought the tall rig was 29'6", so in your case I would vote for tall rig if it were me. Big problem now is you HAVE TO bring your boat over this summer as the rest of us have never sailed a tall rig and we MUST sail a tall rig! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Okay we did extensive research on the sail numbers vs serial number. Maybe 20 cases tops who participated who had the OEM sails. We conclusively (Our best guess) there is no rime or reason for the sail numbering. One Chrysler factory worker who was quoted as saying they just ordered them and then garbed a new set of sails out of a pile and that's what went on the boat. We did not find any duplicate numbers. We did find 2 or 3 that were withing a number or 2 and those boats were manufactured with-in a few months of each other.

So again if it were me, I'd vote for the same sail number and I would put the Chrysler logo at the top of the main, like my OEM sail. :wink:

A tall rig, in my own state, who would have thunk it! :shock: SWEET! 8)

Okay this may call for a road trip as 2 to 3 "Tightly Focused" (Obsessed) Chrysler owners will be wanting a ride on a C-22 with a tall rig on it. :P

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Alan you crack me up :lol: :roll:
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Hey Bill,

I was reading through my small assortment of C-22 marketing literature that I've collected over time. Whenever I find something here or on the web about the Chrysler Sailboats I print it, put it in a sheet protector and add it to my 3 ring binder of Mostly C-22 data.

Anyway, I was reading through it last night, it has been a few years since I looked at some of it. Guess what I found on only one page of marketing documentation specs on a 3rd mast for the C-22 at 28'9" or was it 28'6".

So If I am not mistaken there were 3 mast heights on a C-22, the most common at 26'6" rig then a 28'9" rig and the tall 29'6" rig.

I was thinking you had a replacement mast but now I think you do have the OEM mast after all. Not as Common place as my short 26'6" mast like most of us have.

You know that extra couple of feet could add that extra high for the boom off the deck to fit in a proper Bimini. This would of course move everything that much higher up the mast but your boom would not be at forehead height like it is on my rig. That would be nice, having rung my bell real good once with my boom to my forehead. :oops:

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Hi Billy,

I'd just put your mast up and mesure where your boom would sit for the dimensions of the sail you want. If the boom is high enough, GO FOR IT!

Please remember to leave a few inches for luff stretch. It will and your boom will be noticably lower over time. Do the math, don't fret, and ORDER IT!!! Don't forget reef points though!

By the way, I'm now in the market for a jib for my new boat. I also need a boom but I'm thinking I might build one. Alan showed me some stuff last week that I think I will chase down and see if it works.

By the way Alan,
The original sail numbers on Lady Jo were 110 however I sold those sails with Lady Di. Now I need a jib for "ForPlay"!

Scott
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Thanks Gentleman!

Well we did launch this last weekend and verified the measurements. Looks like the "Tall Rig" should fit on there no problem.

Alan, despite it being a tall rig, I did manage to smack my head on the boom good one time. Pam smacked hers on a bolt in the cabin... Think we just need to get used to being back on the boat.

We launched late on Friday, went sailing on Saturday after getting her organized again. Nice breeze and looking like it was gonna snow or rain any minute, but didn't. We managed 6.3 mph on the GPS with a reefed main and my new, used, E-bay, working jib/storm sail. It sailed nice and felt balanced at the helm as we buried the rail and disorganized the cabin :lol:

I'll be ordering the new sail when I get a chance to call them and discuss the logo and sail number...

It was good to be back on the lake. We saw 6 Billy goats that survived the winter :D
back2class

Post by back2class »

69Shark wrote:Hi Billy,

I'd just put your mast up and mesure where your boom would sit for the dimensions of the sail you want. If the boom is high enough, GO FOR IT!

Please remember to leave a few inches for luff stretch. It will and your boom will be noticably lower over time. Do the math, don't fret, and ORDER IT!!! Don't forget reef points though!

By the way, I'm now in the market for a jib for my new boat. I also need a boom but I'm thinking I might build one. Alan showed me some stuff last week that I think I will chase down and see if it works.

By the way Alan,
The original sail numbers on Lady Jo were 110 however I sold those sails with Lady Di. Now I need a jib for "ForPlay"!

Scott
Ive got several jibs for my 22. More than I need and would be willing to part with one.
c-22
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

back2class wrote: Ive got several jibs for my 22. More than I need and would be willing to part with one.
Hi back2class,
I have sent you a pm with my cell phone number. if you reply with answers to my questions or I'd be happy to call you if you email or PM me your number!

I am interested in a jib.

Thanks
Scott