IT'S TIME TO GO SAILING!

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

IT'S TIME TO GO SAILING!

Post by Capt. Bondo »

OK guys, if we keep working on the boat project list we will never go sailing :cry:
if you have not noticed there is always something that you could do or buy or improve on your boat :shock:

I was once told that when there are no more items on your to-do list you die :o

Look at our boats as a "Fountain of Youth" knowing that there is always something you could do to it.

So put down the list and pick up the tiller it's time to go sailing 8)

...that right my spring commissioning list is not complete :oops:
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Here here!!

Thats my motto!

Fix it once, fix it right but only if it is broken! LOL!
It it isn't broke . . . . . . GO SAILING!!!

I own the boat, not the boat ownes me!!

Scott
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

As soon as my truck gets back I am going to the river and when I have enough water I will be in. I got the keel cable fixed this am it was off at the top a bolt broke that is on the cable retainer.
Last edited by lecker68 on Thu May 19, 2011 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Sadly, my friend from the Power Squadron broke his 34-ft sailboat last Friday. Ran into something motoring to his slip right after the Marina put his boat in the water. Keel repair inevitable. I've been helping him on his boat and he promises to teach me how to sail.

But every cloud has a silver lining, right?! (Yeah, always been a "glass half full" kind of Guy!) So he says to me: 'How much do we have to do to get your boat in the water?' Oh yeah! We're gonna get things moving right along here!

Just finished sand blasting the bottom (leading edge when deployed) of my keel, filling pocks with epoxy, sanding and painting.

Will start work on cleaning out the keel trunk and any repairs. Pin plates look to be in excellent shape! Might replace the bolts while I'm in a good spot to do so. Have a lot of old mussel shells about in the trunk. Do you guys recommend bottom paint up in there while I have the keel out?

Settee is all cut open to get the waterlogged foam out. Will do that now and finsh repairs at a later date.

I'm gonna get this boat in the water sooner than later! Work goes on in earnest!
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: IT'S TIME TO GO SAILING!

Post by Alanhod »

Capt. Bondo wrote:So put down the list and pick up the tiller it's time to go sailing 8)
Ah, my tiller is sitting in the garage drying after it's 4th coat of spar varnish drying. So, may I be excused from sailing till it drys :?: :lol:

Yea, your right! To quote Chrysler20%26% or was it Sailbob, who once said, "These are Sailboats, not Workboats, quite working on them and go sail them!" Now that's deep!

The river of wisdom and knowledge of the Chrysler Brain Trust is both wide and deep. 8)

Thanks
Alan
Last edited by Alanhod on Thu May 19, 2011 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

That keel hanging on the engine lift looks oddly familiar.........

lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

My 26 went in at about 4:30 pm today and went back to step the mast and a severe thunder storm so I will shoot for tomorrow. I have a healthy respect for lightning especially when I am holding 30' of aluminum mast.
My Getaway 1 by lecker68, on Flickr

My Getaway4 by lecker68, on Flickr
Last edited by lecker68 on Fri May 20, 2011 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Hey Banshi! That's just where I got the idea from! After I blasted, repaired and painted the top 2/3 of the keel while it was in my "cart", I remembered your pics for the idea on how to finish the rest.

Just had to wait until my brother's lift was available. Works well!

Did you paint the inside of your keel trunk? Bottom paint?

Thanks!
Mark
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

While your keel is out is the best time to get some paint in the trunk. After the keel is returned to its working position there are parts that are impossible to reach. Just sayin'
Tranquil Chaos
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

I hope to get the mast up and set up if Odin can leave us alone with the lightning.
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

did it again these touchy computers.
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Paul-

That's my thinking, but I see no paint has ever touched the gelcoat inside there. Just zebra mussels.

Gonna clean it out good. Maybe a primer of epoxy paint to seal it good, then a coat of bottom paint. Know it won't last but a couple years, but maybe the lakes will be steril by then :shock: :x :cry: and I won't have to worry about it.

Awful thought! Was talking with a marine biologist/oceanographer friend of mine. He says because of all the mussels, Lake Michigan is now as clear as it was when the white man first saw it. That's awsome, but the trade off is they've undermined and taken away the food chain. Larger species are going with it! Fear of the asian carp infiltration is somewhat unfounded, there'll be nothing for them to eat soon. Sad.
Mark
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: IT'S TIME TO GO SAILING!

Post by Alanhod »

Alanhod wrote:
Capt. Bondo wrote:So put down the list and pick up the tiller it's time to go sailing 8)
Ah, my tiller is sitting in the garage drying after it's 4th coat of spar varnish drying. So, may I be excused from sailing till it drys :?: :lol:

Thanks
Alan
Okay the tiller is dry and back on-board the Honu. Motor has been gone over, cleaned plugs, de-greased, cleaned and re-greased and fully inspected. The trailer is Licensed, still not repainted but it's in great shape if not just a little ugly due to old paint.

Things I still need to do before launch...
1. New license for the boat itself. WA state issues new boat tabs for all boats on July 1 every year. Honu did not swim in 2010 due to financial issues.
2. Replace old Flairs which expired in October 2010. (USCG requirement)
3. Re-up my Vessel Assist insurance just to be on the safe side. (Like AAA towing for boats. I needed this one time and it saved me $1000. The first time I did not have it and the total bill was $2000 for that adventure.)
4. Buy and install new hinge plate for the mast. (Or Captain Scott will not sail with me after seeing me take the mast down back in 2010 with the current rigging.)

Everything else is cosmetic or upgrades. So I aim to Launch in early July 2011. Maybe I can repaint the trailer before then and replace the leaking port windows too. :wink: Then I really will be on cosmetic tasks only. :roll:

Ah but Captain Scott took me sailing several times in 2010 and we have a small sailing adventure planned this coming week on Destiny. :P

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
sauerleigh

Post by sauerleigh »

Well is not the "Maudie Kay" but I finally got REDUX launched today. Some clean up, get the interior organized and I'll be ready to go.
1978 Chrysler 26 "Maudie Kay"
1984 Catalina 25 "REDUX" (rebuild)
It's better late than never
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Had a great day sailing today!

Was sunny an warm with a steady light breeze and the jib up doin 5-6 kts...

Love the new main an still learning how to trim it nice... goin sailing again Saturday an will post some picts on Sunday!

:D :D
Beady
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beady »

Well I got the boat out yesterday figured if the end the world came I might as well have a tiller in my hand. Well boat and owner still here and doing fine.
Brian Eady
77 C-22
Sail La Vie
TravisJ

Post by TravisJ »

Beady wrote:Well I got the boat out yesterday figured if the end the world came I might as well have a tiller in my hand. Well boat and owner still here and doing fine.
At the Jimmy Buffett concert last night between songs he would yell "We're still here!" :lol:
1991 Capri 26 "Mari Sol"
1976 Chrysler 22 "Evening Star"

Commodore, Lynn Creek Yacht Club
Lake Joe Pool, Grand Prairie, TX