Window Removal/Replacement Questions

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
al the pal

Window Removal/Replacement Questions

Post by al the pal »

1979 C-26
My Boat Overhaul Blog: http://alexadrift.wordpress.com/
thepartydog

Post by thepartydog »

Don't do lexan. It scratches too easily. I'll send proof in pictures if you don't believe me.
Darin
"Ya Never Know"
1980 C26
turbo1168
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by turbo1168 »

thepartydog wrote:Don't do lexan. It scratches too easily. I'll send proof in pictures if you don't believe me.
Seconded! Lexan is nearly unbreakable but is as soft as a grape, scratches if you look at it wrong. Plexi is very durable but much harder and doesn't get scratched nearly as quick.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I found out that although I replaced EE's plexi, and I cleaned the gasket up, I did not pay enough attention to cleaning the inside of the channel in the frame...had to redo them and was surprised how much grit I missed in there..
38 special
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 38 special »

I found out through experience that most water leakage is due to the gastket failure. After removing a window, cleaning the frame and gasket I replaced it with the apropriate 3M sealer between the frame and boat. What was happening, is the water was getting between the gasket and window and leaking into the cabin of the boat. I am now in the process of special ordering some new gasket material from a window shop.
The earth is 75% water,can you sail?
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Here is another option...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgXO44ooMo0...and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9COmXqLa50

The frames and gaskets are of the same construction on the C22, just a different size and shape.
Bill
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Al the pal

When a C26 showed up practiclly on my door-step... how could I say no, it had a cold nose and everything. Bleeding hearts at times do pay a price, case in point the windows. Each one on this C26 is destine to be an adventure... what I'm I saying this whole boat is an adventure. In the photo below is the portside aft window with interior frame. The rivets holding the frame were drilled out, will most likely reinstall it with small screws. There is so much old grit of different types over the frame and gasket, it may take days to safely separate the two. I've heard good reports about the butyl rubber seal route but have not crossed that bridge yet. Thanks for the up close photos of your window.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler C26' 1980
Pandora (for now)