New Boat Owner

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
N41EF

New Boat Owner

Post by N41EF »

It's official, yesterday I brought a 1979 Chrysler 22 home. The wife is not thrilled with it, but can't believe how big the thing is and how cheap I got it for. Note, she doesn't know how much I spend on guns and other toys, so she might me leery. It was a 230 mile trip on tires that look like they were new during the Carter administration. I have a few issues already, will be searching or starting new threads if applicable.

Is there a secret to searching this forum, I tried to search trailer tires and got a hundred threads with out a GOOD answer, but many interesting stories to read.

Are there any "stickies"? some forums have saved stickies with common repairs or parts needed. Something like a keel pin sticky with links to people who make parts, pictures other submitted, and a how to do it.

Of note, the boat came with a folder of paperwork from the original owner. Has a color sales brochure, and installation sheets for the options and such, even the ones not on the boat. I'll check the documentation and see if there is anything not posted here.

As background, I'm a retired Navy Nuke, instrumentation and controls equipment, so I'm pretty good wiring things. I'm a pilot and have worked on experimental aircraft so I understand fiberglass repairs and structural things. I'm a car guy, like all things German, my daily driver is a 2003 Boxster S. I have a Land Rover Disco 2 for a tow vehicle, that did quite well coming home. I owned a few power boats, and had a lady who took me sailing years ago, It planted the bug to own a sailboat. My day job is a financial advisor, so I understand what a great investment a 30 year old sailboat is. Just finished a MBA, so I can calculate return on investment, I'm guessing this will fall somewhere between Enron and Worldcom.

Thanks to all of you in advance, for your answers to the dumb questions that I'll be asking in the future.
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Welcome aboard!
Unfortuantely we do not have a huge section set aside for specific projects however that is a great idea!

We have recently started a section for Documents though!
If you have not already found it it is on our main page

http://chryslersailors.com

If you have ANY docs we do not have or if you have better copies, please share!

Welcome aboard!

Scott
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

N41EF

Welcome to the forum, reading your background it will be more likely that some of us will be asking you for advice. Aiken S.C. is close enough to be considered in the neighborhood.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

Yes, I have documents that aren't on the page, I have a 1979 price list for all of the options, and a half inch of drawings and directions for installing options. One goes into gory detail about how and where to install the lifelines. Also have color brochures for Chrysler outboards, and warranty paperwork. Think they'll honor it?

Anyway, I can scan things tonight, where do I need to send the files?
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Just sent you a PM with my home email!

Thanks in advance for any docs you send!

Scott
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Welcome aboard.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Boat Owner

Post by EmergencyExit »

N41EF wrote:Is there a secret to searching this forum, I tried to search trailer tires and got a hundred threads with out a GOOD answer, but many interesting stories to read..
The best tip I can give is to always check the "Search for all terms" box and to be as specific as possible..if I search for 'trailer tires' I get 64 hits, but searching for 'trailer tire size' yields only 3..'trailer tire rating' results in 1..
N41EF wrote:I'm a pilot
lol, I knew it..whenever there's an N number there's a pilot ! :wink:
I still believe the prettiest airplane ever made is yellow with a black stripe down the side. And that Santa owes me one..

Welcome aboard..
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Welcome aboard N41EF....tell us your name also...at first glance I was thinking ham radio operator until I saw the 1 after the 4...my call sign is WB9NYI...anyway I have some videos on youtube of work I have done so far...Youtube name is Astrorad2000...Bill
Bill
cs3079
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cs3079 »

Ahoy N41EF and welcome aboard! This site is the most active of any sailing sites I've seen. Great support and great people.

Owning a Chrysler boat is like owning a classic car, there's much more to it than simply dumping it in the nearest lake and cracking open a brewski for the afternoon. As you will soon see, the price of your boat just a nominal entry fee into this "gotta love it all or leave it" hobby. From that point on, the sky, and your dreams are the limit. (or you can just sail on the cheap, as I am....for now ':roll:' ) ... And, your on spot about the ROR of your investment, LMBAO!
So enjoy your hobby, and in the meantime definitely don't forget to dump your "new" boat into the lake, crack open a brewski, and enjoy an afternoon as often as possible.

BTW, a great reference site for Chrysler sailors is
http://chryslersailing.lizards.net/
,but when you want to talk to people that sail 'em, this is definitely the
place!!!!

BTW#2: Please post some pics/vids, we want to see your new boat too!
Bruce
Chry Wndw Shopping/'69 Newport H-20
Poupon Me!
Ray Twp., MI
Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/65343255@N06/
Vids: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL60647F9C03EAE28A

I want a boat that drinks 6, eats 4, and sleeps 2.
- Earnest K. Gann
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

welcome You will find the C-22 a great boat

Where will you be sailing it?

I'm hanging out in the North Myrtle beach area for the next 10 days and if transportation wasn't a problem I would come your way to help with your boat.

Can't say I do to bad about getting 1st mates aboard also....lol
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

Thanks Everyone, I've started a squawk list, and made the first of many, many trips to Tractor Supply to get a "replace every piece of trailer wire" kit. Also safety chains since the trailer is galvanized, but the 30 year old safety chain had rusted to probably less than half it's original size.

I towed it home with magnetic stick on lights, bad tires, and too light of tongue weight. It did great between 60 and 65 mph, and looked really big in the rear view mirror. I have lots and lots of things on the list already, and it keeps getting bigger.

I'm guessing I'm not the first of you to pull it home, climb up in the cockpit with an elbow on the rail, my foot on the tiller, and crack open an ice cold diet dr pepper.

I live 20 minutes from Lake Strom Thurmond, and about an hour from Lake Murray which is supposed to be excellent for sailing. I'm two hours to Charleston, and it's on my list to see the harbor from the water side for the first time since we sailed out of there on the USS MG Vallejo in 1995.

And, I'm Chuck by the way, and I'll put up pictures this week.
cs3079
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cs3079 »

Sounds like a pleasant first home trip along with an appropriate personal celebration. I think bad tires are standard equipment on most of these sailboat trailers. On my first trip, I had knot in the pit of my stomach all the way home (150 miles.. in the dark!). Before I even took the boat off the hitch of my Durango, I had knocked down a mailbox backing up out of a driveway and then, 15 minutes after I got home, my daughter pulled in behind me. I came out to straighten the trailer and of course, I didn't notice her car , nor could I see a darn thing in the mirror but boat. I placed a neat hole in her front bumper that is a perfect match to channel iron on the rear of my trailer. Darn... no... damn! I think wifey came close to divorcing me that night.
Bruce
Poupon Me!
Ray Twp., MI

- Earnest K. Gann
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Welcome aboard Shipmate,

Good to hear your first trailer sailing home went well even on iffy tires and that you were able to clime aboard at the end of the voyage and have a Diet Dr. Pepper in style at the helm of your new C-22.

I remember steppin into the cockpit of my newly purchased C22, tide securely to the old owners mortgage spot and having a Diet Caffeine free Coke Cola and watching the Sun go down. It was worth every penny of the purchase price right there all by itself. All the fun since then, Priceless.

Now my wife, well she could live without the boat I think, but she also knows I cannot live without the boat (Happily). So the Boat is tolerated far more kindly then I could have imagine. I've sailed my C-22 for years but the last year it has only sat on it's trailer in the driveway. I was un-employed for a long time. It is still a great day sitting in the cockpit with my soda, enjoying the moment.

Way more fun to sail it for real but it's a good second just enjoying the boat sitting on dry land, or working on the boat, or taking a nap on the boat, or writing about the boat, or visiting others who also own a Chrysler sailboat. Some call us "Obsessed." We prefer the term "Tightly Focused."

As for questions ask away, don't be shy. We answer old questions again with happiness. As for stupid questions. those tend to be the best questions of all because when I've asked that stupid question, they turned out to be the truly inspired best questions. They only felt stupid to me asking them.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

The rain washed it for me, I had help getting the mast off the boat and making sure everything is there. Started making a really long to do list.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

She looks good !
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

I agree! She looks pretty nice!

FYI, I have received 8 emails from you with documents!
THANK YOU!

I have not looked at them in detail yet. I hope in the next couple of days to go through them and start getting them into our document section!

Again, THANKS
Scott
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

I have another dozen or so emails to send. These are all multiple page documents (parts list, drawings, instructions) to install the Chrysler options. Most of which, my boat does not have.
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Look'in Good, and a pop-top too 8)
Be aware that the mast needs to be up to hold the pop-top in place.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
N41EF

My first erection....

Post by N41EF »

Holy crap it worked!
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Looky there! Very nice! Good looking boat!
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
cs3079
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cs3079 »

Now that's a beautiful sight! How many times did you have raise the mast before everything went up right? There's a lot of rope and wire on these Chryslers compared to my little 12' O'day Widgeon. My first set up took three starts; two separate attempts for halyards that went skyward upon lifting and one because the back stay was wrapped around the outside of the rear stanchions. The whole initial set up took THREE HOURS, including time lost to run to Home Depot to get missing parts! I got the routine down to 45 minutes now. Hope yours went up easier than that.
Bruce
Poupon Me!
Ray Twp., MI

- Earnest K. Gann
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

Two attempts. Thursday afternoon to get the mast up in place, fab a new mast raise pin, run the lines and hook up the back stay and sides. Then, it got dark. Friday afternoon took the afternoon off from work "sick" and came and just checked the lines again. I ran a line to the stbd winch and cranked it up. I did lower the nose of the trailer to make the mast go over center and stay fwd until I could get the fwd stay fastened.

I did put the mast on saw horses in the driveway and flake every thing out, then I tie wrapped the stbd stays and the port stays together, I coiled the jib halyard and zip tied it to the mast, and the fwd stay to the mast as well. Once the mast was in place on the rear support I hooked up the side stays and aft stay and put it in the cockpit. I don't have briddles so I used two ratchet straps to hold the mast centered, one strap tp hold the shoe of the mast on the step, and a self tensioning strap on the fwd stay to the bow. As I winched it up, I stopped a few times and checked everything, but it came right up.

Thanks, so much to all of you who posted here before, it was entertaining and an inspiration.
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

Getting close to be ready to get wet!
troyengel

Me too

Post by troyengel »

Looks Good, I rewired my trailer & replaced the tires & wheels prior to trailering many miles from home, also got a spare tire. this I figure is a good thing, I could show you photos of how I wired my trailer, if you would like. also My daughter and I stepped the mast the first time, in 1.5 hours, we now have it down to about .5 hours. :-)
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

So I was getting ready to take the boat to the lake this weekend, slid the mast forward and noticed that there was black stuff around the mast pin. took a look int he mast and found.... pine straw. I'm guess at some time the mast was stored in a barn, and something made a nest. I drilled out the rivets on the shoe, pulled the shoe, and got a 5 gal bucket of acorns and pine straw out of the mast. Also noticed that some of the mast wiring had been chewed on, it's on the "winter" list to rewire it with a steaming/deck light. Six 5/32 pop rivets and we are back in business.

Is it me, or does it seem that everytime I fix something, I find two more things that need time/money/knowledge to fix?
Last edited by N41EF on Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

N41EF

Fix one find two... when you have a good old boat or Chrysler for that matter its par for the course.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
pandora (for now)
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Ah yes a collective Ooooh and Ahhh was heard round the country seeing your new boat. It's a beautify sight seeing another Chrysler Sailboat returning to the waves and a Captain ready to properly love the boat. :D

Thanks for the photo's. It's very exciting to see new boat photo's. It never ever gets old. Or to hear about first mast raising, sailing, work being done. Keep it coming!

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Sailroy

Hi I am getting ready to buy a 22 Chrysler 1976, Roy

Post by Sailroy »

Hi,
I am getting ready to buy a 1976, 22' Chrysler.
I am wondering if anyone can share some feedback on what to look for, or any feedback at all.
I have been sailing a 16' Com-Pac Yahct for years and need more cabin space for my son, Single Dad.
Any Feedback would be GREATLY appreciated.
Cheers Roy
Sailroy008@hotmail.com
turbo1168
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hi I am getting ready to buy a 22 Chrysler 1976, Roy

Post by turbo1168 »

Sailroy wrote:Hi,
I am getting ready to buy a 1976, 22' Chrysler.
I am wondering if anyone can share some feedback on what to look for, or any feedback at all.
I have been sailing a 16' Com-Pac Yahct for years and need more cabin space for my son, Single Dad.
Any Feedback would be GREATLY appreciated.
Cheers Roy
Sailroy008@hotmail.com
Hey there Roy! Where are you in Florida? Might want to re-post this question as a new topic, instead of on the end of another's posting. Probably get more responses. I would say the biggest would be check that the keel pin and brackets have been replaced or are in excellent shape. It is a major job to replace and even doing it yourself would run $400-600 for parts and materials to get it out and redone. Next, standing rigging and sails are fairly expensive and might be better off starting with a boat that already has had them replaced. A trailer is a major expense if you buy one new, fitted for the boat, but can be found much less expensive in reasonable shape that needs new bunks made to fit. Not a concern if you intend on keeping it in a slip or mooring. And then the engine, they can be found reasonably cheap used.