Cleaning house

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
sauerleigh

Cleaning house

Post by sauerleigh »

In my futile attempt to organize, consolidate and liquidate a portion my accumulation of 40+ years of stuff, I ran across a few dozen issues of Wooden Boat magazine that I had saved. Scanning over the photos of those wonderful wooden creations make me appreciate my plastic boats. We all have issues with our boats, leaking port lights, keel pins, rudder bearings and other hardware problems but at least in general, the hull and deck are not huge annual maintenance concerns. I had always dreamed of building my own little wooden ship, not more than 22 feet on the deck, a good garage size project. I even bought a set of study plans for "Blue Moon" designed by Thomas Gillmer, but I think I'll have to save that one for another life time. I've built 4 wooden rowing shells, the longest was 26 feet, but that work pails against building a proper little ship.

Anyway, if you are at a news stand or bookstore (do they still exist?) pick up a copy of Wooden Boat ( not a plug, I have no affiliation with the magazine ) and peruse the photos and articles. Boats are beautiful things.
1978 Chrysler 26 "Maudie Kay"
1984 Catalina 25 "REDUX" (rebuild)
It's better late than never
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Completely wooden boats are beautiful things, but like the modle T's of old... I'm glad we have come a long way in development. :wink:

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

A friend of mine just finished building his 2nd wooden boat. His first was a 15' day sailer this latest was a 21' cabin crusier. I really thinks he likes building them as much as sailing them.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I am always on Ebay drooling over some old wooden classic - usually a Chris Craft Connie or the like. Fortunately reality sets in before I click that "Buy Now" or "Bid" icon...so far anyway.

I came close to picking up a free abandoned 36' Dickerson Yawl last year, but was able to walk away.
mariner

Post by mariner »

I love wooden boat magazine! I have had a subscription on and off to it for years now and i cannot seem to bring myself to throw a single copy away! I'm glad that its available digitally however nothing beats having that fine glossy paper in your hands! :D
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

EE I know of a free Dickerson 33' ketch in VA. it was just hulled.

LOL I'm sure I'm not helping.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Mario, they are a great old boat aren't they !
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

EE remember the 12 step program as I have to remind myself of that all the time.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
cs3079
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cs3079 »

OK, I may as well chime in too. After my number comes through in the Mega Millions lotto, there will be no more fiberglass boats for me. I will be pursuing ownership of this modest little woodie.

http://www.thesantana.com/
Bruce
Chry Wndw Shopping/'69 Newport H-20
Poupon Me!
Ray Twp., MI
Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/65343255@N06/
Vids: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL60647F9C03EAE28A

I want a boat that drinks 6, eats 4, and sleeps 2.
- Earnest K. Gann
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

lecker68 wrote:EE remember the 12 step program
Its always near my thoughts like a broom in mid-swing.. 8)
birdsey

Wooden boats are beautiful!

Post by birdsey »

I used to have a 1937 wooden ketch, 55' loa, 11' beam, 7' draft. She looked just like an classic Americas cup racer. Whenever I am drooling over a wooden classic I just have to flash back to those days!

I would have older guys walk us with a big grin on there face and say "yeah, I used to have a wood boat" and chuckle a little. Now I am the old guy, and I do the exact same thing!!! ha ha

Beautiful to behold, a bear to maintain!

The new owner has not done so will with her!

Here is her for current for sale listing: (the pics in the water were taken when I owned her)

http://www.classicyachtforsale.com/syNoreine.html