Rudder bearing replacements...

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
astrorad

Rudder bearing replacements...

Post by astrorad »

I posted a video of my solution to replacing worn or broken rudder bearings on a C22....the drawings are available as PDF's from me...just send me an email at astrorad1@wi.rr.com and I will gladly forward them to you as an attachment....here is the link to the video on my YouTube channel...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8i_MKp1 ... e=youtu.be
Bill
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

That is pretty cool!
Nice video. I'm currently looking for a rudder bearing replacement. My rudder got bent, cracked the lower bearing and she leaked. If I do not come up with a reasonable replacement, I will probably follow your example.

If you would like me to post your documents in the dockument section, send me the PDF and I will make them available to all!

Scott
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Scott...Good idea...they are on the way.
Bill
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

As always, very nice job Bill!!
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Thanx Mark and Scott...it's just because I am too lazy to type a lot of text and edit/crop pictures...I even leave in the screwups...LOL
Bill
turbo1168
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by turbo1168 »

Nice job, I'm sure they will last a long time since they are Delrin! Just curious, why did you use NPT for the lower fitting instead of a straight thread? Do you foresee needing to shim the coupling or cut the thread end shorter, otherwise I would think it would be difficult to get the torque correct.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Thanks Bill,
Both documents are now under "Documents", "Chrysler" and then "C22" on our main page!

http://www.chryslersailors.com/

Scott
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

I used NPT because I had access to a large Rigid pipe threading machine and the dies were NPT...the electrical coupling will work fine and I may have to put a spacer washer under it...as far as torque goes, the original thru hull wasn't hard to unscrew and it is mostly held in place by the caulk sealant.
I should have mentioned in my video that when having the part machined, if you are going to thread it yourself, you need to have the machinist leave a large enough piece on what will become the bottom external end so you can chuck it in the machine to perform the threading. You will then return it to machinist for finish cutoff and shaping. That is how I did it...otherwise have machinist thread it for you.
I threaded it myself to somewhat reduce the labor cost.
You should also give your rudder post shaft to the machinist so he/she can fit the internal diameter precisely. I neglected to do that and had to return part with shaft for final fit...cost was additional as they had already bored the hole once. Now they had to setup again to fit it.
Bill
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Nicely done Bill!

I like this video instruction/demonstration method you use. I watched your Rudder post leading edge video too. Mine is made of wood and is roughly the same dimensions and shape as your aluminum one you showed.

I wonder if a PVC or some other plastic material would be a good replacement. No corrosion issue and maybe more forgiving in an impact situation. Cheaper to replace if ever hit.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing