rope caulk for re-sealing portholes/windows?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
queenannesrevenge

rope caulk for re-sealing portholes/windows?

Post by queenannesrevenge »

I've used rope caulk to re-seal windows on camper trailers before. I remove the window, clean both mating surfaces thoroughly, install the rope caulk on the window, and re-install the window, and install the screws while tightening from the center out in several stages, much like you would do for valve cover gaskets, cylinder heads, etc. Some campers I've worked on were 30 plus years old and the caulk was still pliable for the most part. Have any of you used rope caulk on a boat before and what kind of results did you achieve? I'm curious if this is a good recommendation for others or just a plain old bad idea. I may try it out on my Sandpiper and keep everyone informed on how it performs over time.
Chrysler 22 Queen Anne's Revenge
Chrysler 22 unnamed
http://photobucket.com/kurtspicsandsuchTheterribleTeach
John K

Post by John K »

Hi guys, it's been a while since I posted. I've been busy with two small children, and my lake level got so low that the boat was trapped for a while. I even took my rudder off because I was afraid it would get damaged as the boat appeared that it was going to sink down into the mud. Finally we got rain, lots of it, and I was able to put the boat on a trailer to put the rudder back on, but when I went to do it, found that my rudder cheeks had split. So, she's back in my driveway so I can put the new stainless ridder post/cheek assembly in and do other cleaning/improvements/maintenance. More info to come on that soon.

This thread caught my attention though because I'm not completely sure what rope caulk is. When I did a search, I found what appears to be two different types. One of them appears to be gray butyl tape, and the other is black rope, almost like a stick of licorice. The real question is what is it? If it is rope shaped black butyl, I would probably refrain from using it, because the black can become a horrible mess, especially if your are working with it in the heat. Now, when it comes to the gray butyl tape, I endorse it whole heartedly. I used it to bed my portlights into the frames over two years ago with zero problems. In addition to that, used it to bed my lifeline stanchions and motor mount. I am very pleased with the durability and continuing pliable nature of the stuff and will continue to use it. It is easy to work with, cheap, and a hell of a lot easier to get off than 5200. I got a big roll of it at an RV store for about $8.00. I hope this helps, welcome aboard, and everyone have a good day!
1977 C22: Dog House
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

John

If you could post a detail account of just how you installed the butyl tape into the deadlight frame so that it would play the part of the old seal. I'll be using butyl tape on all my deadlights... not a one of my old seals looks good enough to reuse. Thanks in advance, for some reason I can't put my finger on just how you would mate the butyl tape to the inside of the frame. :?

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler C26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

John

No need to repost... I found you old post that covers this quiet well.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler C26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
John K

Post by John K »

Sounds good. One thing that I did not mention: I did find that in a few spots around the frames that it could use a little bit of extra butyl rubber, so I shaped it with my fingers into a "string" and pressed it into the frame with a putty knife. The stuff fuses together really well. I do not think that I will have to deal with this problem ever again (on this boat :roll: ). Cheers!
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Looks like original thread was at

http://www.chryslersailors.com/discussi ... php?t=1647

I just picked some of the stuff up at Lowe's, going to try it out on the project boat this weekend..
John K

Post by John K »

They have it at Lowes!? What department?
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Weatherstripping aisle...Its not the exact match to your RV link, but reads like the same material..

http://www.lowes.com/pd_66792-81-71548_ ... 151&rpp=24

The descrip says 1/8" but it's actually about an inch wide, with strips you can peel if needed..a bit sticky and malleable, I'll see how it works this weekend..
John K

Post by John K »

Thanks EE!
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

EmergencyExit wrote:Weatherstripping aisle...Its not the exact match to your RV link, but reads like the same material..

http://www.lowes.com/pd_66792-81-71548_ ... 151&rpp=24

The descrip says 1/8" but it's actually about an inch wide, with strips you can peel if needed..a bit sticky and malleable, I'll see how it works this weekend..
I'm looking forward to the updates also!
Lady Jo has a minor drible or two! LOL!
Scott
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

EE's got several dribbles....and one big drip...ME ! 8)
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Not sure the Lowes stuff will be suitable, instead of a 3/16" wide tape like the RV example it is a wide flat strip made up of individual 1/8" strips you can peel off. And the strips tend to seperate all by themselves when you unroll it..

I tried some this weekend to rebed the original frames to the cabin (after taking them apart, cleaning them and the insert, and reassembling as originally manufactured). The channel inserts on the project boat were still in good pliable shape..

Pics to come.
John K

Post by John K »

It might work just fine. The beauty of it is that if it doesn't work out you can just take them back off. For attaching my frames I used 4200 because I was displeased with how well the screws were holding them on, so I went with the adhesive; the butyl rubber is a sealant exclusively, it has zero adhesion qualities. I did not have enough faith in my work to use 5200 though.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Agreed, easy to remove ! Am heading for the RV store tomorrow in search of other stuff...

I have become a non fan of 5200 above the waterline unless I never planning on removing something, or never want the next guy to be able to, lol..

4200's a bit friendlier..down the road
queenannesrevenge

Post by queenannesrevenge »

It's available at Ace Hardware and is available in gray or off white(between 3-8 dollars depending on length) but I've been unable to find info on its chemical properties. It comes in a roll that looks similar to a serpentine engine drive belt so you can use one 1/8 strip or the entire 1 inch roll depending on your application.
Chrysler 22 Queen Anne's Revenge
Chrysler 22 unnamed
http://photobucket.com/kurtspicsandsuchTheterribleTeach
John K

Post by John K »

Yeah, that sound like what EE is describing (the strips). The stuff I bought at the RV supplier was flat, like a thick, continuous strip of Doublemint gum. This has been linked to once or twice on here, but for anyone interested, it's really worth a look: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-main ... -tape.html

I did this to my lifeline stanchions after epoxying some plywood core rot and it really worked out so far.
J. Austin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J. Austin »

I have some wonderful stuff that Mark was generous to give me for my port lights.
I will be happy to post a picture here when I get home if needed.
Also, I think Mark knows what supplie he got his from.
As I remember he had to buy a lot, hence why he had some to spare!

Thanks again Mark, your generosity shall keep me dry!
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
jerecaustin.com
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Yer welcome, Jay!

Got it on Ebay from this guy. Not the exact same type (mine is gray) but this looks good!

Can't beat the price! A+ dealer on Ebay, my endorsment.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WHITE-BUTYL-PUT ... 2c63f83d25
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
John K

Post by John K »

That's the stuff!