Learn something new every day.

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Beady
Site Admin
Site Admin

Learn something new every day.

Post by Beady »

I went and paid my dock fees for the boat and cleaned her up a little. I started to screw around with the pop up top. I then discover what the block of metal on the mast was for. It holds the pop up top in place. I had thought the previous owner had installed it and could not find a use or had never seen anything quite like that on a boat before. One of the screws on the support bracket had pulled out and the top seemed very unstable so I just never bothered with it. Using the block on the mast it seems to work fine so I am going to fix the support pole.

Was the piece from the factory and once the supports are in the up position is there another lock that installs on the supports?( I used to have a pop up camper and there were safety supports.
http://www.brianeady.com/Other/Sail-av- ... 39&k=id2Cu
Last edited by Beady on Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:15 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Brian Eady
77 C-22
Sail La Vie
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

If you look at the documents section, there is a page about the pop top lock. Yes the piece on the mast is from the factory. The piece on the mast locks holds it up and forward and the four legs go slightly over center, there are holes in each leg to insert a pin and lock the legs straight. Even witht the mast catch and pins mine is not as sturdy as you'd think, I've only put mine up at anchor or on the trailer when cleaning.
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting
Beady
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beady »

Thanks, not sure how much I will use it but the extra head room was nice when cleaning today.

brian
Brian Eady
77 C-22
Sail La Vie
John K

Post by John K »

I don't have a pop top, but my buddy's Catalina 22 MKII does, and it works pretty much the same way. I don't think it has the pins on the legs though. It relies solely on a mast fitting that rides in the sail slug slot, and has a knurled nut to lock it into place after you slide it up to engage the top.
1977 C22: Dog House