My swing keel....

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
lalla

My swing keel....

Post by lalla »

Help!! My swing keel is stuck in the up position!! with a broken cable. Any tips on getting it down ? :D
John K

Post by John K »

For starters, don't let it slam down without a cable attached!! :shock:

Is it in the water, trailer, stands? It's hard to answer without knowing that. If you are able, I would try to replace the cable before doing anything else.
1977 C22: Dog House
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

John K wrote:For starters, don't let it slam down without a cable attached!! :shock:
DITTO ! Also is it a 20, a 22 or a 26 ?
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

Just did the keel removal. Mine was sticking because it had rusted and swelled up to where it was hanging on both sides of the pocket. Mine would come down but sounded like grinding gears in an old Ford pickup. Make sure you have a cable attached, then reach up from the back side and pull down ont he cable. Once it breaks free it should move all of the way down. Be ready to replace the keel pin and brackets. The cable is 10 feet of 3/16 stainless or galvinized, with an eye and a 5/16 shackle to attach it to the keel.
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting
thepartydog

Post by thepartydog »

Dealt with the stuckup keel as well. Had the boat on stands when we freed it. It was a combination of rust swelling and not so fresh seafood. We used a long flat thin piece of metal to remove the sea life and get it free.
Darin
"Ya Never Know"
1980 C26