A little off the Chrysler topic... Severn 20'

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

A little off the Chrysler topic... Severn 20'

Post by hp18carr »

Has anyone ever heard about, seen or sailed a Severn 20' sailboat? Not much can be found on the internet about them. I may have a chance to pick one up in good shape with trailer for what seems a fair price. A little something I can sail on the smaller lakes closer to home while I complete work on my C26. http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_ID=5513

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler C26' 1980
Pandora For now)
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I see it referred to as an Annapolis Severn 20, but there sure isn't anything out there at all..
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

(you can tell my curiosity is getting the better of me..)

Terrence, did you see this thread ?
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-d ... storm.html

He mentions his boat as being "hull #6 of 100 made". From the thread looks like he'd never seen another one either..and this one sounds like it was damaged in a strom itself..
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

No that thread was news to me; the Severn 20' in question is stated to be a 1971 model. The Hull ID # looks a bit suspect to me it does not come back to the original builders of the Severn 20, but to a home built status. I doubt this sailboat was offered as a kit back in the day. this Hull ID # may have come from a P.O. having no paper work looking for a easy way to re-register the boat at some point. I too find my curiosity growing, looking forward to a hands on inspection... lots of photos will be taken. If the 100 number is true this one maybe one of only a handfull left. As the first mate would say"its the excitement of the hunt." If for no other reason I should get the old girl to maintain a bit of sailboat history. 8)

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler C26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

OK nice find, photos please. Two sail boats: 2xthe fun, one to work on, one to sail on. Happy Salling
John K

Post by John K »

Fractional rig. Sounds like a fun boat!
1977 C22: Dog House
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

hp18carr wrote: The Hull ID # looks a bit suspect to me it does not come back to the original builders of the Severn 20, but to a home built status.
could well be - this was an issue with some of the early Cal 20 and 21's..The only ID would be a hull number (ie 691), and those were hand written on an index card, stuck on the inside of the transom, and glassed over...fast forward to 40 years after the HIN comes on the scene and no state will believe that '691' is the only ID on your boat..here the state will send a wildfire/fisheries person out to inspect the old boat and assign it a number...

ps I agree its a 'find' if the price and condition is right..
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

It took an old country boy like me a while... :oops: but here goes.

As you can see in the last photo that there seems not to be any inside support for the mast. If this sailboat comes home with me I may feel a need to put something in for support.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler C26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

What Do You Mean ( IF ) Nice looking boat, in joy it an go sailing. Or are there no sails? The asking price over say $ 2,000.00 if so hold off an get a C-20
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

About the (IF) remark... there are sails and it's under the price you stated, but I don't want to build myself up for a fall before a hand on inspection. It is roughly 41 years old. It's like that feeling back in High School when you convince that girl you like to go on a date, but until you pick her up at the door in the back of your mind... what if she calls and cancels? :wink:

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler C26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
John K

Post by John K »

I like it. It looks like the scuppers are well below the water line, meaning it probably has the flush mounted drains in the cockpit, so the cockpit floor is above the water line (keep those drains clean!). Combined with those raised combings, that should make it a dry sailor for a boat it's size.
1977 C22: Dog House
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Looks like was modified to a transom mount rudder since the line drawing seems it shows a C22 type thru hull rudder. It looks a lot like my old Cal 21, which I enjoyed a lot..
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Ok you got my curiosity up also, keep us posted :)
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

For those of you interested in the Severn 20'... this world truly is first come first served. Even after a number of e-mails and an offer of some hold money until I was able to inspect the sailboat he sold it the day before I was to meet him and check it out. I undrstand it was his boat... but at the moment I'm a little pissed, he knew I was coming and he failed to tell me I was just one of the ones in line... :evil: At least I saved some gas... perhaps Pandora had a hand in this hearing I had cast my eye upon another sailboat.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler C26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Check out E-bay, xcaveman has his one of a kind C- 22 listed. One day left, starting bid $2500 No bids yet. An check out the Roades 22 on E-bay. See if you miss out on one boat you don't have to stop looking!!!
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

I've always been looking... just not that hard, the Severn 20' was such a sweet deal I had to act on it, sadly not soon enough. Just like the fish in the sea there are an abundance of other sailboats out there, another sweet deal is sure to come along in due time. 8)

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler C26' 1980
Pandora (for now)