Out of the shop, into the slip.

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
edjeep

Out of the shop, into the slip.

Post by edjeep »

Yesterday we launched. Rigging was a joy. Only had to step the mast twice, (meaning I only forgot one thing). After it was lowered again, and the spreader boots installed it was up for good.

The only thing I was really leary of was leaking at the keel pin, as I had pulled the keel for repair/paint and reinstalled this winter. The brackets were in very good shape (someone had replaced orginals at some point) so I just replaced some fitting and packed it up with 5200 (might regret that in 5-7 years..) NO LOEAK!

It was a very busy day on the Columbia River yesterday. I remembered something about "opening day at the yacht clubs." When that information was paired with my visual of every large boat any where in the vicinity of Portland approaching from down stream, I knew I was in the right (wrong) place. There were hundreds(?) of yachts and sailboats all decked out for a little parade, looked like the turning bouy was right in front of the ramp where I would launch.

No Matter, I'd launch turn up and motor a wee bit out of the way, no problem. Surely the only way one could get themselves into trouble would be to go in, turn up, go for a while and then have the outboard die unexpectedly and not be able to get it started. Well that one way to really get into trouble is exactly what happened. After we turned up a bit, the motor died. As I franticly tried to restart, my crew attempted to stear some kind of course, (with no way on, no success). I kept asking, how we doing, where is the parade . She replies "they are going on either side of us" By the time I poke my head up after finding that the fuel line had disconnected, I found that we were now right between 2 columns of yachts, average length probably 45'+ proudly marching their way in the opposite direction.

I think that about 6 pairs passed on either side before we were able to duck out to port and get out of the procession. At that point we started to joke about just how funny that situation was to us. In reptrospect I think we should have stood up in the cockpit and waved back to all the yachties, in the coordinated yacthing outfits.

It was starting to rain, which was why we were headed to the slip anyway, so we put her away and thought maybe a day with fewer boats would, be better.

Afterwards, we thought maybe we'd do the same thing next year. Our own little tradition, of running their parade backwards down the middle. But then we realized probably not a good idea.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Ain't it great, old Murphy and his silly little law. I'm suprised you didn't just hoist up the main and do some sailing right in the middle of them, after all, parade procession or not, once your engine's off, your main's up, you've the right of way over other pleasure craft. :wink: Of course that would have probably gotten you some jeers and unvavorable words tossed your way. Embarrasing little snafu right in front of the enire PDX boating community or not, at least you were out on the water. You know what they say, a bad day on the water's better than a good day at work. :D
"Yeah, God's given us this beautiful day. Let His Spirit fill your soul like the wind in the sails!" -Walkin' on the Docks
edjeep

Post by edjeep »

Now all I need to do for a good laugh with the girlfriend is say "Remember when we were in that yacht Parade."

I hear today that the buddy who helped me step the mast stuck around for a while and took some pictures, but got bored and left right as we turned towards the parades.. I wish he had gotten a picture of that!