Hurricane Sandy

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Chrysler20%26

Hurricane Sandy

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

This is a big one, I hope all of you in its path get through it okay.
cs3079
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cs3079 »

It's times like these that it's convenient to be a trailer sailer. Yikes! Hope all have successfully headed for high ground!
Bruce
Chry Wndw Shopping/'69 Newport H-20
Poupon Me!
Ray Twp., MI
Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/65343255@N06/
Vids: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL60647F9C03EAE28A

I want a boat that drinks 6, eats 4, and sleeps 2.
- Earnest K. Gann
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Ditto!

I see the HMS Bounty replica has been sunk today and took two lives with her.

SAD.

Scott
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Saw that, very sad indeed.
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Here is a link to the HMS sinking http://t.news.msn.com/us/hms-bounty-rep ... ll-missing

I hope it is the only loss of life suffered in this storm and everyone else stays safe and sound.
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Gus

Post by Gus »

They found one of the missing crew, Captain still unaccounted for. Very sad news.
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Very sad news indeed but why was she out? My boat is out and mast came down Saturday. Brining her home after the storms.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
sauerleigh

Post by sauerleigh »

The dock my boat was tied up to on Thursday is gone. Half the marina has been destroyed, looks as though six boats sunk and more on there way, and the high winds are supposed to continue through the evening. My boat is still standing but moving, if it slips off the forward shoring, she'll be on the ground, not safe to try to correct anything at this time.
I hope everyone here safe and dry.
1978 Chrysler 26 "Maudie Kay"
1984 Catalina 25 "REDUX" (rebuild)
It's better late than never
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Dang.

On a good note I believe they found one of the missing Bounty Crew alive. Captain of the ship still missing though.

Scott
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

A really odd side effect from Sandy is rain and an early snowfall here in the Smokies. We got flurries at the rental (2000') that didn't stick, but 10 miles from here (6000') was this.

http://www.highonleconte.com/daily-posts.html

We drove in thru the park and had autumn colors one day, the next day the road was closed from heavy snow.
cs3079
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cs3079 »

sauerleigh wrote:The dock my boat was tied up to on Thursday is gone. Half the marina has been destroyed, looks as though six boats sunk and more on there way, and the high winds are supposed to continue through the evening. My boat is still standing but moving, if it slips off the forward shoring, she'll be on the ground, not safe to try to correct anything at this time.
Just saw a vid of Whiskey Island and it looked pretty dicey out there. Hope everything turns out OK for you

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/weather/hur ... -lake-erie
Bruce
Chry Wndw Shopping/'69 Newport H-20
Poupon Me!
Ray Twp., MI
Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/65343255@N06/
Vids: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL60647F9C03EAE28A

I want a boat that drinks 6, eats 4, and sleeps 2.
- Earnest K. Gann
Rivercruiser
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Rivercruiser »

sauerleigh wrote:The dock my boat was tied up to on Thursday is gone. Half the marina has been destroyed, looks as though six boats sunk and more on there way, and the high winds are supposed to continue through the evening. My boat is still standing but moving, if it slips off the forward shoring, she'll be on the ground, not safe to try to correct anything at this time.
Hope you recover your boat OK.
C-26
Hunter 29.5
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

There is never a silver lining to be found in a storm of this nature; while N.C. for the most part got by with minimal damage others further North caught the brunt of it all. Hopefully none of our members count their boats among those lost and may we light a candle for those persons still unaccounted for.

Terrence
Wilmington N. C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
sauerleigh

Post by sauerleigh »

The last time Cleveland saw this much damage was July 4th 1969 when a tornado pretty much followed the shoreline. I am not aware of any deaths or injuries locally with Sandy, but the damage is everywhere along the Cleveland harbor. Some photos and video from this afternoon, winds were still around 40 mph when I shot the video, I was just trying to hold my ground.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/93952888@N00/
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Nice Photo's sauerleigh, I have enjoyed looking at your photos a lot of times. You do nice work
mariner

Post by mariner »

Unfortunately extending the season didnt turn out so well for a lot of folks....

http://www.wkyc.com/news/article/267256 ... superstorm
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
FranS

Post by FranS »

I'm typing this on the only Internet device working, my smart phone. A quick report from NYC and LI. 90% of LI without power. Yesterday went to check on a house we own on the south shore of LI, the two marinas within 1/4 mike are literally gone. Nothing left, no boats, no docks,shore buildings badly damaged. Boats are strewn everywhere blocks away, on roads, in parking lots, crashed through folk's homes. One travelled about 1/2 mile, still tied securely to the dock ending up butt up against the platform of the local rail road station. The dock box and a bench bolted into the dock still attached.
Th community just to the south, Long Beach is cut off. National Guard at the bridge , people who elected to stay ( despite orders to evacuate ) streaming across the bridge on foot with whatever they could carry. They are not letting anyone back on go the barrier island once they depart.
We count ourselves very lucky, this was one finicky storm. The flood waters came right up to the house and stopped as evidenced by the sea grass and reeds now covering he front lawn in a thick mat. Our non Chyrsler however was snug on the trailer in the yard. The wind pushed her up against the fence but she was dry as a bone.
It's gonna take a long time to find our new normal.
Gus

Post by Gus »

Wow, glad you evacuated. Material things can be recovered.
FranS wrote:I'm typing this on the only Internet device working, my smart phone. A quick report from NYC and LI. 90% of LI without power. Yesterday went to check on a house we own on the south shore of LI, the two marinas within 1/4 mike are literally gone. Nothing left, no boats, no docks,shore buildings badly damaged. Boats are strewn everywhere blocks away, on roads, in parking lots, crashed through folk's homes. One travelled about 1/2 mile, still tied securely to the dock ending up butt up against the platform of the local rail road station. The dock box and a bench bolted into the dock still attached.
Th community just to the south, Long Beach is cut off. National Guard at the bridge , people who elected to stay ( despite orders to evacuate ) streaming across the bridge on foot with whatever they could carry. They are not letting anyone back on go the barrier island once they depart.
We count ourselves very lucky, this was one finicky storm. The flood waters came right up to the house and stopped as evidenced by the sea grass and reeds now covering he front lawn in a thick mat. Our non Chyrsler however was snug on the trailer in the yard. The wind pushed her up against the fence but she was dry as a bone.
It's gonna take a long time to find our new normal.
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
clair hofmann

Post by clair hofmann »

We are still waiting to get access to our Jersey house. It is on the water 20 mi. ne of Atlantic City. We have seen ariel views of the area and there are houses missing. Ours is still there and talking to our neighbor who is a Sea Tow capt., it sounds like we had at least 5' of water in the house. We think we will be allowed in tomorrow. We are going there prepared to gut the house.

We were in NC when Sandy passed there. We only had minor flooding. We did see constant coverage of the Bounty sinking. They were still searching for the Captain when we left yesterday.
Clair
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

All sounds so familiar to us down here, and you are all in our thoughts and prayers..

EE
(Currently a warm water flatlander perched on a cold water mountain side)
Nicknick32

Post by Nicknick32 »

I just got back from cleaning up trees for the hydro in New London, im glad to say that the damage was not too bad where I was.

On a side note, it was absolutely beautiful area I was in and the people where amazing. I paln on making a trip down in the summer. :)
clair hofmann

Post by clair hofmann »

We finally were able to have access to our houses on Saturday the 10th. The devastation was incredable. We got to our house and it was still completly in tack with the exception of one corner of our porch.A wave had lifted it about 10". Our docks all washed away, 2 floaters and fixed section. hung up on our pilingswere 2 floaters that belonged to someone else. They're still unclaimed.

Ous door wasn't swollen and opened right up. Once inside, we saw there was only about 4" of water in the house. the floor of the house is 48" above the ground. Cleanup wasn't bad for us. We had to cut paneling off the wall about 3" up to allow the insulation to dry. There was carpet in 2 bedrooms that had to go.We were working with a generator to power 2 torpedo heaters and several fans.

Our son and son inlaw prep the house for the storm We were in NC. but they got all the boats back to PA and tied everything down. Our son even tied the mailbox to the electric pole.It was one of the few still there after the storm

We were so lucky. Around 10 homes were completely washed away without a trace. there were many others that can't be rebuilt. There are alot of houses that are raised 8'+ off the ground but most of them had garages underneath. Those walls were mostly blown out and they lost anything that was there.

Here are some links to Jersey pictures.The 2nd one has a picture of our area. It is the 10th picture marked Cost Guard photo Tuckerton . The house on the point had 3' of water inside. we are on the 3rd lagoon over.the ocean is about 4miles of the top of the screen with nothing to knock down the waves. The first one has before and after pics.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/specials/hur ... er-photos/

http://www.www.dailymail.co.uknews/arti ... LLION.html

Hope those links work. that's above my technical ability.
Clair
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Terrible devastation in New Jersey and Long Island at least you evacuated here we are 100 miles north of New York City and we did not have any rain and some wind 50 kt but the storm surge that came up the Hudson river was 5' and it was surge as the water came up 4' and back down in 1 hour imagine the current speed not measured but it did take some of the trees from the creek and river left by Irene.
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
sauerleigh

Post by sauerleigh »

I went down to the lake yesterday, the last sunken boat was hanging from the lift, a beautiful, salty looking ketch, glass boat with wooden spars. The marina has a crew repairing the floating docks, the submerged breakwater has been removed, probably taken up river for repairs, looks like there will be a season next year. I know that there were 6 foot waves inside the marina basin from some of the debris that was left on the shore.
3/4 of a mile away at another marina, the state has cordoned off part of the public parking area to store the boats sunk or damaged at that marina. About two dozen, half were power boats. I know some of the dock there either sunk or were destroyed by the storm.
The amount of damage here pales to that of the east coast, but this was one massive storm, "no mercy has the sea"
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

The weather channel is having a show on the Bounty rescue on Dec.5 at 8pm eastern time
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Thanks Lyle I will watch for it. That was an awful storm, I really feel for you guys out there. Back in 1986 and part of 87 I worked on the Queens bridge or also known as 59th St., Bridge. The job lasted about eight months, and I lived in Rockaway. I rode the subway to work like most ironworkers in New York City do. Everyone from their treated me real good, nice bunch of people. It really must be a ruff Thanksgiving for them, so many have lost their homes.