Finaly home from the desert going to work on my maststep

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
snowbordlb

Finaly home from the desert going to work on my maststep

Post by snowbordlb »

Well I got home last night and this morning we went out to the boat to clean it up and inventory the work that we want to accomplish this week. We are going to start by fixing the mast step that I broke last time I tried to bring the mast down. There are pictures below with the broken step. I went to west marine today and looked at the west system. It seems rather straight forward. I have also looked at the other posts on the board so I think we are ready to go. I have a mast hinge that we ordered already to go on the step once we get it fixed. I was planning on using the west penetrating epoxy on the wood that was under the fiberglass then used the west system to put the top of the mast step back on. Use fiberglass cloth and resin to seal up and cracks, sand the entire thing down apply paint and install the mast hinge using longer screws that what was used on the original hook. Am I over simplifying the entire process? Any recommendations or tips? Should I ship out the old wood from the deck and start over? This is my first fiberglass/epoxy attempt so I would appreciate any tips that you have.
Thanks

Gus

Post by Gus »

That's a tall order for a first fiberglass job. I would start somewhere small, like reinforce something with a bit of epoxy and fiber just to get the hand of it. It is not difficult, but at first it can be very frustrating, specially when the epoxy won't set, and everything gets sticky.

If you get the West System epoxy, GET THE PUMPS! I can't stress that enough! Eye balling epoxy batches is not the way to do it. Get the pumps, it makes it very easy.

I would chisel the old rotten wood out. Do you still have the top piece that came off?

I'm sure the Captains with more experience might have better ideas than me, I haven't done any epoxy work in quite some time.

Good luck!

Gus
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
snowbordlb

Post by snowbordlb »

Thanks gus I do have the old top that came off and salesman at west marine said the same thing so I think they are well worth the money.
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

I have the pumps and they work great...follow instructions and get the book that goes with the system. Lots of great info on technique in the book. Make sure that pumps have not lost their prime if you haven't used them for awhile. Pump slowly into waste container after long periods of non use to make sure pump is full. Pump just enough to start some flow. A little waste is better than a poor bond.
There is also a DVD available with technique and methods, but the book has most of what you would need. I really like the West System epoxy and it has a long shelf life.
Bill
double "D"

Post by double "D" »

White Water to Waves
1974 22' Sandpiper Frayed Knot
1995 20'Bayliner
14' River Raft
14' Canoe
sailxnite

Mast step repair c26

Post by sailxnite »

check out my earlier post labeled Mast step repair c26 - I have some interesting photos of what it looks like under all that rot. also, I have just today finished my repair- since i don't have a lot of faith in any epoxy or fiberglass solution, I made my own "Bolt on" solution. The way is see it, a bolt on solution can be removed at a later date without much trouble- if i decided to have it "professionally" repaired back to the factory condition. I have added the photos from the repair today to the link. here is a link to a diagram i made of my repair. https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1bZj ... U0_kc/edit

hope it helps. pat
1977 Chrysler 26