Chrysler Sailors Forum Index Chrysler Sailors
Talk Chrysler Sailing, Sailing in general

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1983 Starwind 22 Project boat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chrysler Sailors Forum Index -> General Starwind's Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: 1983 Starwind 22 Project boat Reply with quote

Well, here is a picture from the CL ad, the listing said "Free sailboat w/title":

When I found her, she had two flat tires, the trailer bunks were rotten and falling off, and the boat had apparently had about 8" of water sitting inside after the owners sons had left the port windows unlatched and the companionway hatch boards out...

Thankfully none of the cushions, sails, or gear was stored in the boat! They had at least stored everything in their basement. The owner needed it gone ASAP, so I slapped two wheels and leaking tires on it and dragged it home with no lights or registration. It was basically the first person that tows it out of here gets it, so there was no time to delay!

It was getting dark as I left, one tire was going flat, the bunks were shot and the port side of the boat was actually resting on the bolts that used to hold the bunk boards on... I decided I couldn't make it safely home. Luckily my work was on the way, so I towed it there for the night.

It actually worked out well, because we have a pressure wash bay at our shop, which I used to clean a decades worth of grime off the boat. It also allowed me to install new LED trailer lights and do some temporary repairs to keep the trailer bunk supports from ruining the hull. So after a thorough scrub down and wash we had this:

I finally towed it home, where we began to clean the nastiness that was growing in the cabin...
Smier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once home, we began the scrub down, the cabin was nasty and wreaked of mildew from all the stagnant water left sitting inside. The front two port windows were left unlatched, which from the stains in the headliner fabric of the cabin had been leaking for an extended period of time...

You can see the waterline on the hull liner... Thankfully after about 6 hours of scrubbing, my 6 year old daughter and I got the interior entirely cleaned out and disinfected!!!

Here you can see where the windows have been leaking... The black streaks give it away.

So far, I have $210 in new trailer tires mounted on aluminum wheels from my wife's mustang(free), $56 in LED trailer lights and wiring, and another $30 to $40 in pressure treated lumber and outdoor carpeting for new bunk boards. Keel brackets are in bad shape, and will need completely redone. But overall the boat is in really solid shape, and came with 2 sets of sails, all look in good shape, and the one set looks like they may have never been used... The previous owner bought the boat in 2004 and parked it in his driveway, never even sailed it once due to his work, and it just fell into disrepair...

So here's where I am at, definitely needs work, but not a bad start, and the price was right!

I am looking for a pattern/drawing/template for the Keel brackets and pin assembly, mine are shot an will need replaced. This bought was from Rhode Island originally, and I suspect it spent a good amount of time in salt water, my brackets are flaking apart. I don't know if I will be able to use them as a template for new ones?
Smier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I decided that I am going to redo the interior of the boat myself(my wife thinks I'm crazy), the cushions are in ok shape, but not very appealing in the looks department... I'm trying to convince my wife (who has sworn to never set foot in the cabin of my smaller Compac 16) that she wants to go on some weekend trips, so we need all the help we can get! So after a little research I decided that I needed one of these:

It's an old gear driven Singer, supposedly capable of sewing denim, upholstery fabric, and even clothing grade leather. I was going to buy an old beater sewing machine for my shop, but found this gem by accident, my wife who thought I was crazy is now thrilled! Now to start shopping for fabric and foam, it gets dark to early to work on the boat after work anyway...
astrorad

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That machine should do the job for you...I sewed a pair of suede leather pants on one of those when I was a wild and crazy hippy.
Smier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

astrorad wrote:
That machine should do the job for you...I sewed a pair of suede leather pants on one of those when I was a wild and crazy hippy.

Please feel free to post a picture of said pants! Haha, hmmmm... No, I really don't need suede pants, but they do sound stylish!
Smier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warm weather finally arrived this weekend! I finally got to tinker with the boat a bit, and found another source for my water leaks in the cabin and bilge... The cockpit drains! Apparently one has a leak, and every time it rains or snow gets into the cockpit, it trickles into the boat. Looks like I need a bigger tarp to prevent anymore water from sneaking in until repairs can be made. I'm in the process of painting my Compac 16, and then once its finished, I'll be starting on a full restomod of this old girl.
timlabute

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent find! *jealous!

I look forward to seeing your progress Smile
Capt. Bondo
C Shirt
C Shirt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great find and the price is right!
Thanks for posting pictures, its interesting to see the differences between the C22 and the Starwind 22 made in the designs for the hull liner and deck design...but the hull still looks the same.
I would be interested in seeing a couple pictures of the cock-pit when you have the time.
Thanks

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chrysler Sailors Forum Index -> General Starwind's Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: