mast stepping

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
aerojet777

mast stepping

Post by aerojet777 »

hi all,

how hard is it to step the mast on a c26 ?

has anyone tried a winch or something, i think this is going to be a real pain.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

I've not done a C26 however I am happy to demo my C22 for you including doing it single handedly. I live in Everett and Lady Jo is at the boat ramp!

I believe the process is identical.

Just let me know.
adamh

Post by adamh »

Raising the mast on my C26 was very intimidating at first. First thing you will want to do is make yourself a crutch that mounts on the stern. Without this, the mast will hit the top of the sliding hatch. I built mine so it straddles the rear of the cockpit coaming and is notched to grab the rear rail. A roller on top makes it very convenient if you trailer it and try to do this yourself. The pole I use is from 2 pieces of 1 1/2 conduit that sleeve together. They are actually poles that I salvaged from the kids trampoline enclosure. It makes it easier to store it in the back of the pickup box when its apart. Next I took a piece of strap iron and hammered it round(fits the curvature of the mast), welded a 5/8 peg to it and welded it to the bottom of one of the poles. Then I welded a ring to the top of the other pole where I attached a swivel block. I bolted a winch to the lower pole and the cable runs up through the block and attaches to the bow. I fasten the jib halyrd to the top ring and crank it up. So far this system has worked quite well for me. Hopefully others will chime in with other innovative ideas.

Oh back to the original question. Its not a pain at all with the right set up. Just don't do it when the boat is rocking in the water if you can avoid it. :wink:
Adam

1978 C-26 s/v "Alpha"
amayotte

Post by amayotte »

Here are some photos of the first time I did it.
https://plus.google.com/photos/11294705 ... 7071269489
Very rough way of doing it but it will give you and idea how its done.

I later refined it to something like this.
https://plus.google.com/photos/11294705 ... 7979897825

Hope this helps.
Adam
aerojet777

mast raising

Post by aerojet777 »

thanks guys for your great inputs. captian scott -- thanks for your offer to show me how to do this in person. i will give you a call and set up a time so we can go over the mast raising i greatly appreciate your time :)

chris

ps - if and when i get the mast up ill post pics. i went out motoring last night in lake washington and it was real nice. about 90F and lots of sun.
tgentry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tgentry »

The mast is pretty easy. It works similar to Captain Scott's C-22 video. I use chains for bridles, and ratchet straps instead of lines. I forgot who suggested the ratchet straps, but they're easier to setup and the mast stays nice and secure without any side to side movement.

One thing, your mainsheet needs to be really long to use it as your mast hoist. I keep toying with the idea of a dedicated block and tackle so that I could shorten up the mainsheet some.
Tom
1981 Endeavour 43 s/v Pearl Lee
Former 1976 Columbia Payne 9.6 s/v Gin Rhumby
Former 1979 Chrysler 26, s/v Copacetic
http://www.asswhaffleyachtclub.net
http://www.svpearllee.com
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

UPDATE:

Chris and I have talked and I very much look forward to meeting another Chrysler owner this Saturday!

Sadly my day is split right in the middle with another sailing obligation so Chris and I will meet in the AM on Brigadoon, then again mid or later afternoon on Lady Jo

However . . . . . Chris, if you are available the whole day, we should talk. :D !!

Scott
aerojet777

mast stepping

Post by aerojet777 »

yes...im looking forward to it. i havent raised the mast yet so it should be interesting to see if i have the required hardware etc.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Hey!
It was great meeting you Chris!

You've done some very nice work to your 26'er! I really like the cushions you have made and that power panel you made is pretty cool!

How did ya like that 52'er?? LOL!

Scott
aerojet777

mast stepping

Post by aerojet777 »

Hi Scott, it was good to meet you too, thanks for coming out to take a look and help me figure out what i need to do to get the mast ready.

i liked the 52 footer, its definately more boat than i could handle even my 26 feels big lol.

anyway i will be looking for a new mast if anyone has leads that would be great.

chris
adamh

Post by adamh »

What is wrong with the current mast?
Adam

1978 C-26 s/v "Alpha"
aerojet777

mast stepping

Post by aerojet777 »

the mast i have now has been welded in the middle - apparently the guy that had it before me broke the mast and it has since been welded.

the mast insnt perfectly straight now and its been shortened 4" and this raises questions about strength and function.

i think i would like a new mast and scrap this one using my sawsall in the backyard because i would rather not worry about this breaking again or looking like a patch job. so it may take time but i will look for another mast.