New To Both Chrysler and This Forum

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
billsfan60

New To Both Chrysler and This Forum

Post by billsfan60 »

First thanks in advance for any help y'all can provide.

Been off the water for a few years and before being beached I spent my time with Catalinas and Irwins.

Going tomorrow to look at a C-22 with the intention of towing it home. Been away from the water so long if I'm left to my own devices I might buy it even if it's a disaster just to get off the beach. So help me out guys. Are there things I should be aware of that are areas of concern. I know swing keels can be problematic but beyond that I'm in the dark with Chrysler.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Hey, welcome aboard ! Hopefully some of the 22 guys will chime in - I do know the swing keels brackets on the 22's are a concern..

Member Banshi has some great pics of his repair at
This LINK HERE

should give you some idea of where to look.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Welcome aboard!

As EE said, check the swing keel brackets for corrosion! We are talking a LOT of corrosion too. Only other real issue is the rudder cheek plates and post seal inside! Basic common sense when looking there. Everything else is basic boat. Like any boat, soft spots in the coach top can be an issue as can blisters. However common sense must prevail there also!

Good luck and post picks if you get her!

Scott
billsfan60

Post by billsfan60 »

Thanks for the heads up. She checked out and we brought her home yesterday. Will post pics later today or tomorrow.
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Welcome!

Now's the time to pull off the hardware and rebed... butyl tape works well... windows are another source for leaks... check them, but if ok leave them for now and do the other stuff first : )
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Welcome aboard
Glad to hear you "Got off the beach"
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
billsfan60

Post by billsfan60 »

Thanks to all the advice we're about ready to find out if she floats upright or not. Sailed a catalina 22 for a lot of years out of ocean springs on the gulf and even sitting on it's trailer it's obvious this Chrysler is way more boat than the Catalina.

All that's left is to replace the rope that retracts the keel with steel cable and then practice getting the mast up and.

Thanks to you guys I have the instructions for stepping the mast and drawings for the bridles. Don't know why there's rope on the keel winch but as soon as I figure out how to change it out there will be a proper cable in its place. The keel end is no problem but haven't figured out how to keep it on the winch drum just yet.

Once again, thanks to all that helped out. Y'all made it an easy project. Hope I can return the favor for somebody one day. Any of you get down here to 'Bama, the beers and mudbugs are on me.