Advice on Sailboats for shallow lakes

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
newlonestar

Advice on Sailboats for shallow lakes

Post by newlonestar »

Hello!

Looking for advice. Since I am in Iowa I spend the majority of my time sailing on a lake that is not very deep. The lake is basically a giant round sand bowl that gently goes from the shore down to a max depth of about 12 to 14 ft.

I currently sail a Chrysler lonestar 16' LS and love every minute of it. However, I was curious if there are any slightly bigger sailboats that still have a very small overall draft or swing keels like the Lonestar.

I like that the Lonestar can be easily beached, docked, and trailered, and does not take long to rig.

Any advice on sailboat brands/designs that are maybe between 16-23 ft long and have small drafts/moveable keels or centerboards/ and are quick to rig?

Thanks everyone!
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

The 1989 and earlier MacGregor 26D has a drop down daggerboard as opposed to a swing keel. Have a friend with one and he loves it.

Also my Cal21 drew 4.5 with the swing keel down, but the swing keel fully retracted into the hull. You could not sail (or hardly motor) with keel up tho..to much weight in rear of boat.

Compac 23's shoal keels only draft a little over 2 feet as well. Also there was a 16 footer
Smier

Post by Smier »

I have a Compac 16, and I have been on a Compac 23. They are great boats, still have factory support for parts and info, but they are tight inside. My 16 is like a coffin inside. The 19 and the 23 are better, but you don't get standing headroom until you get into the Compac 27, but by then it's no longer really a "trailer sailer". The 16 and the 19 are both very light and easy to tow, in fact you can pull a 16 with just about anything. The 19 would need an SUV, and by the time you get to the 23 your realistically looking at a full size truck. Most people I know with 23's keep them in a slip for the sailing season. They all have shoal draft, concrete ballasted keels, and are very forgiving boats! They also have an active online forum called the Compac Yachts Owners Association or CPYOA. They even plan some group outings a few times a year.