Keel thump

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Patrick

Keel thump

Post by Patrick »

Hi everybody .

Did your keel thumb in heavy sea ? if not how do you make it stop !
Thanks and I wish you all a nice summer sailling
OldUgly

Post by OldUgly »

I haven't heard of any thump on Chrysler boats. You may want to check the keel pin for any potential imminent problems.
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Thanks Oldugly ,
I Going to have a look because those bagg noise are not funny , but it hapen only in wave 4 feet or more .
( buy the way , I hope my english is not so bad , sorry If i make mistake )
OldUgly

Post by OldUgly »

How to replace the C-22 keel pin and pin support brakets:
http://www.clearintent.net/C22/

It may be a similar process on a 26.

Good luck!
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Patrick wrote:Thanks Oldugly ,
I Going to have a look because those bagg noise are not funny , but it hapen only in wave 4 feet or more .
( by the way , I hope my english is not so bad , sorry If i make mistake )
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Hi Patrick,
My English ain't so good either and I was born/raised in the USA :D

I recall some banging issues last year or so... under the forward table seat is an access to the keel pin bolts and another "thingy." Some believe this other thingy is a teflon like plunger that is supposed to keep the keel from swinging, thus banging. It has a glavanized cap that when tightened pushes the teflon against the keel. If you can remove the cap and do some maintenance it may help. If the keel is swinging it probably will lead to leaks around the keel pin mounting brackets, and many of us know how fun they are to change out!!

On my boat, the "thingy" was totally rusted and froze up, the teflon plunger was broken, and on the keel trunk opposite side of this plunger, it had been scraped down to bare fiberglass from the keel rubbing on it every time the keel went up and down over the years. Also, the keel pin hole had been worn to a nice wobbly loose fit in a rusty keel...

Here's a link to my webpage with some picts of that thingy and the keel trunk damage:

http://naturalbornflyerz.com/cutting_keel_pin.htm

I would tell ya how I refabricated my "anti-banging" unit, but since it has yet to get in the water, think it's best to see how it works. I'll let ya'll know, hopefully in just a few weeks. It's been 1 1/2 years since I started working on my boat. I'm envious of all of you out enjoying the season!

Billy
Jokulhlaup