Halyard on high!@#%#@!?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
dennyzen
Site Admin
Site Admin

Halyard on high!@#%#@!?

Post by dennyzen »

Ok, for only the second time in my Chrysler sailing career, I let go the main halyard and now the clevis pin is at the shieves(sp?) at the top of the already raised mast. I didn't actually let go. I tied it off, but obviously not too well. I was setting on the deck before the mast when I noticed it. It hung for a moment about three feet out of my reach. I don't get up as fast as I use to and the shift of my weight on the boat was enough to continue to send it up.

So, I see three choices:
1. lowering the mast ?
with the rope bridle/gin ple configuration that I always used in previous seasons). I'm in a boatyard now and thought I wouldn't have to do this for a few more years.

2. taping a couple of 12' foot quarter rounds together (maybe three} " and trying to hook it?
with some kind of attachement at the end. Not as much trouble, but probably to0 wobbly for accuracy?

3. bosun chair on the jib halyard? My 110 pound niece is in town this week.
I can borrow the chair and her and maybe get it done (and get a bird's eye view picture of the boat while she is up there. Does anyone think that while tied up in the slip, there is enough stability to do this?

How would you do it? Any easier ideas?

Denny
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Been there, done that !! Twice myself !

The second time, I rented an extension ladder from the local place, placed the feet against the rear of the forehatch, stood it up against the mast, and climbed close enough to snag it with a boat hook.

The first time I used sections of PVC pipe with a hook taped to the end.
Ladder was easier.

After the second time, I tied a small line to the clevis so that I don't have to do this again !

Good Luck !
dennyzen
Site Admin
Site Admin

Got it!

Post by dennyzen »

I was prepared to spend my Sailing day next Sunday, trying the ladder suggestion (makes me nervous on the 22') or just taking down the mast. Then I remembered that I had spreader boots to put on and the wind indicator could use some straightening. So a complete take down didn't seem so bad.

Then a googe here and a search on www.trailersailor.com there gave me the idea to use the jib halyard (main and jib halyards are parallel through the double shieves) to try to catch it.

There are three of these methods, the fish hook, the clotheshanger wire contraption, or just the plain noose with a slip knot (http://www.sailmagazine.com/features/CT-October05/ - about half way down the page)

Seemed like it was worth an hour or so of my time one evening. So last night I tried.

The noose reminded me of my snake catching days (rope doubled through a pvc pipe with the loop over the neck and the catcher manipulating a safe 8 feet away). It sounded promising until first time got the slip knot caught in the sail track. A hard jerk from the back stern got it out.

I immediately bailed out to the hook idea. Not so good. Not even the treble hook. I was afraid it would catch on everything but the shackle. It might work better on a rope halyard, but at the shackle pin it is wire. The pin in the shackle was a hard target, then the tape (connecting the messinger line to the jib halyard) came off and then putting one of the barbed hooks through the jib halyard more than once as clearly going to degrade the line (which was only a couple of years old).

Back to the noose. Trial and terror:
  • Taping the messinger line to the jib halyard so it didn't get loose.
    Getting the slip knot as close to the jib halyard as possible
    Making the noose large enough, but not too large
    Keeping the noose from tightening from the weight of the messinger line as I was raising it
    getting a good view the shackle and its angle to the mast against the sun
    putting a second messenger line on the jib sail end of the big halyard so I wasn't manipulating a flapping or full sail as the wind rose
    wiggling with body English and various waves of my arms as I "snuck up" on it
    untangling or unsnagging three different lines from me, part of the boat and each other between attempts
I lost count at about ten such attempts but 1/2 an hour later, I got it!

A thinner rope (1/4 not 3/8) and a stiffer rope (more nylon, less dacron) would probably have helped.

Now, I'll be sailing on Sunday!
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Cool !
Now if you'll tie some line about 1/8" diam or so to the shackle, you'll have a built in retrieval line for next time (trust me there is a next time), but you tell everyone it is a downhaul for the sail. <g>