Outboard bracket

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
choyado

Outboard bracket

Post by choyado »

Hi All,

My old 10 horsepower Honda outboard bit the dust. I just purchased a much newer honda 8hp with electric start and the extra long shaft option. It's something like 27" from the transom mount to the the top of the anti-cavitation plate. I'm wondering if I would even need a two position bracket with it. I know the original bracket is inadequate, this motor weighs 115lbs. Do you think with a fixed bracket and just the tilt on the motor I could get it clear of the water for sailing and also deep enough for motoring in rough weather. With the mount how its positioned currently I'd probably have the anti-anti-cavitiation plate 12" or more under water. Also the stock bracket has a pretty negative angle in the low position. I'm assuming this was designed to counteract the torque or moment that the motor creates with a thrust line well below the boat. Have any of you switched to newer brackets that are more perpendicular to the water if so have you noticed any difference in the attitude of the boat under power?
Last edited by choyado on Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jeremiah
choyado

Post by choyado »

Here's a pic of my boat. It's been an on and off restoration project since i bought it 13 years ago. I've only sailed it twice and other than that I've just been working on it. I bought it as a lien sale because it had been abandoned in san pedro marina. I fabricated the trailer from an old power boat trailer. At this point it needs some bottom paint, a new rudder, an outboard bracket and a lot of tlc. I'm planning to have it functional for a trip to Catalina island in February. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5-_6L ... sp=sharing
Last edited by choyado on Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremiah
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Can't get access to pic - you may have to mark it Public or something..
choyado

Post by choyado »

Try it now.
Jeremiah
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Sweet pic ! Am asking myself similar questions; I removed the stock C26 outboard tray and glassed it over, but marked the hull where the original mount point was.

My plan is to buy the outboard I want, then build an outboard stand so I can mockup and measure how much room between motor and transom I need to tilt up enough to clear the waterline (also marked on the mockup stand) and still be clear of transom.

If I can find a fixed mount that meets those demands I'll do that. If not I'll go with the Garelick type adjustable..

My gut feeling is I'll wind up with the Garelick, but the plan is motor first, then figure it out.
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

is that a fixed keel?
Bill
choyado

Post by choyado »

astrorad wrote:is that a fixed keel?
Yes, I understand they are more rare than the swing keel versions.
Jeremiah