New Rudder, But What About Those Mushrooms?

Post All Rudder and Related Topics Here
ScottD

New Rudder, But What About Those Mushrooms?

Post by ScottD »

Greetings!

I just got a badly-needed new rudder assembly from the folks at Ruddercraft for my 1976 C-22. The old rudder is removed from the boat and I'm ready to install the new one. In addition to problems with the old rudder -which the new rudder fixes - I've also had a long-standing pinhole leak which I suspect has its source in the mass of caulk that had been applied around the current thru-hull rudder-tube fitting. I've cleaned out all the old caulk from around the fitting and as I get ready to install the new rudder I'm wondering what's the best way to proceed to address that leak. The new rudder assembly came with two new mushroom bushings. Should I dig the old fitting/bushing out of the boat and use the new one instead? Or, since the old bushing and rudder-tube assemblies look reasonably sound (after I replace the hose clamps where the "radiator hose" tube attaches to the thru-hull fitting) should I apply a healthy construction of fiberglass around that thru-hull fitting to address the leak (instead of using caulk as had been done originally)?

Hopefully this all makes sense. I'm very much looking forward to spending this season with a sound rudder and no more water in the cabin, and appreciate any suggestions and insight.

Fair winds!
Scott D
1976 Chrysler C-22 'Beg To Diffah'
Sailing Cape Cod and the Islands
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Welcome to the forum!
Do you know exactly What part is leaking?

Is it the Hull? Around the mushroom fittings?
Or maybe the hose itself?

The reason I ask is mine also leaked. When I replaced the rudder, bushings and post the leak went away. I believe the leak was related to the hose clamps on the hose. I replaced the clamps also.

Again welcome!
Scott
ScottD

Post by ScottD »

I'm not sure of the exact part, but I've traced the trickle to the base of the rudder tube but not sure if it was coming up through a seam in the caulk or from the base of the tube because of the rotted hose clamp. I've cleaned out the caulk and will be replacing the hose clamp with shiny new ones, but I'm not sure if I should simply re-caulk the existing bushing/post-base, get a little more serious and glass it instead of caulk, or replace it with my new bushing and then caulk or glass. So many options!

Thanks for the welcome and response!

-scottD
Scott D
1976 Chrysler C-22 'Beg To Diffah'
Sailing Cape Cod and the Islands