Jumping the Gun

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Papax3

Jumping the Gun

Post by Papax3 »

Hey all!
Attempting to look before I leap here, and lean on this forum's sailing experience. Chrysler 22, on a Lake, wind according to the weatherman for the weekend was to be 5 to 8 mph. Main is full up, and according to Sail Warehouse, they sold me a 110% jib (which I really have fallen in love with), full up. Depending on how you do the math, the rail looked to be 12 to 16 inches from the water, sometimes 8" with a gust up. We have on board, a salty sailor friend we met from our dock,who says "we do NOT want to have this headsail up when the fall wind gets here". I found a yearly wind chart, and indeed August is without doubt, the lowest point for wind on the graph... Everything moving to higher "steadier" wind from here: 10 - 15 mph (20 or greater?). Sail warehouse does not sell less than a 110% jib. *In writing this, I wish I had a better way to say {exactly} what the wind was doing. To my eye, the water was relatively flat, disturbed, without formidable waves, and with smallish whitecaps. Zero swell. Boat was on a rock solid heel, I could stand on the high gunwale easily, and it was "fun as hell".
Going from 110 jib, to storm sail seems plain dumb, and I'm looking for the middle ground - like a standard jib, or a 90 jib.
A. Would that really make a difference? (a.k.a. - should I buy a standard jib, or a 90% if I can find one?). (State of Arkansas, if you're interested).
B. Salty guy is wrong, and doesn't understand how capable Chrysler 22's are?
110 is just fine?
If the wind picked up more, I could see some nerves begin to show, but is that because I just don't {REALLY} know how capable this boat is yet?
Shoot from the hip!

Thanks! Bill

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
We're just about finished with refurbishing our Chrysler 22, she's slipped, and ready for fun!

Lake Quachita, HotSprings Arkansas
Bill Williams