New Owner

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
MichiganBill

New Owner

Post by MichiganBill »

Yes - it's strange to be new to something that was made in the 70's - Friday I took the plunge and purchased a C22. I now realize the boat needs more work than I initially thought (isn't that always the case?). After I got it home, I pumped out about 15 gallons of water. There's plenty of caulk around the keel pin. The rudder looks to be in rough shape. I've learned from this website - that this is typical (and I'm up for a project).

Here's the part that I haven't read about - the keel winch had been mounted with through bolts to the bridge. It clearly suffered from prolonged water damage, became compromised, and the bridge eventually caved/broke. The winch assembly is now loose in the boat.

My question is, where is the winch supposed to be mounted? Was it through bolted?

In spite of the growing project, I think it's a beautiful boat and I'm thrilled to be on the path to sailing.

Thanks,
Bill
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Welcome aboard Bill!
I agree the C22 is one of the prettiest 22's ever!

The keel winch was indeed through bolted on the companion way step!

Sorry to hear she is more work than expected but I am very pleased you are willing to take the work on as these are great boats!

Case and point, I have had 4 of them and am confident 2 of the 4 were close to being scrapped!

We have more documents on the c22 than any other Chrysler sailboat here!
Check the documents page in my signature and feel free to download what you like! However rest assured they will be available on line here for a LONG time!

Hmm, now where is my next c22?

Scott
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Welcome Bill, If you have any questions pleses feel free to ask here on the forum. You can also send a message to me for my humble opinion. There is almost no part of the C22 that I haven't had apart, replaced or repaired. I also have videos of the work I have done...most posted in the documents page, courtesy of Capt Scott...and also on my YouTube channel "astrorad2000" https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv6aCu ... 5KnrMWUX_Q
Bill
MichiganBill

Post by MichiganBill »

Hi Bill,
Thanks for your offer of assistance. I have already become a fan of yours (through your YouTube videos). The video of your keel pin replacement has already boosted my confidence in tackling the project. I'm grateful for you sharing your work. I'm sure I'll be following up with plenty of questions.

Regards,
Bill
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Thanks Bill...the ways that I have repaired or renovated are not the only way to do things. There are many different fixes that the folks on the forum have used, so research them all and use what appeals to you.
Bill